Eric Clapton's new Strat!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Synex7254, May 2, 2015.

1. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

2. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Looks good. Sounded good in that blurry video (taken by someone with very good seats).

Nice to see he brought Doyle and Derek out again for this go-round.

3. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Hey thanks that was good!!

4. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

He may take the cake for holding up the best after a long successful rock star career and rock star lifestyle. His voice is in good shape. He seems to be well-adjusted to the lifestyle in interviews. I like the traditional finish much better than that sky blue he had for a while. I like the baby blue but his had a more saturated blue finish. He doesn't really seem to care much about his tone IMO. In later years he just has a tone easily acquired by plugging a Strat into an amp. He does not go after the weighty Hendrix tones to any degree like so many other musicians. He stopped performing Layla for a long time then added it again. It is amazing that people can play songs with any zeal they might have performed hundreds or thousands of times and several times a week for years.

5. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Is it the Brownie Relic stratocaster I wonder?

6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Along with Steve Gadd ( drummer) and Nathan East ( bass)

His voice sounds great for 70 years young... hope I can still sing at that age :)

7. davebc

davebc Member

Those Promos were phenominal footage!

8. dazco

dazco Member

Funny thing is, I LOVE clapton, but i'm not at all a bigfan of his guitar playing. It gets the job done ok. But I love his songwriting and voice. Thats a huge compliment from me by the way. I love guitar, but my 1st love is the music itself and clapton is a master in that regard. Guitar wise....well, i prefer listening to Doyle and Derek. But even tho i play guitar that takes second fiddle to\t he song, and clapton is....well, i already said it.

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Dig DBII's 'fro! That's Chambers Brothers quality there.

Wonder if they'll be a DVD of the shows, like they did for Mayall's 70th.

10. 6thave

6thave Member

There is a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock and no signature- 22 frets - also unique strap?!?

11. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Of course. I remember several years ago EC claimed that Nathan East was the best bass player he ever worked with. Strong stuff, no?

I would buy it. I get all the Crossroads DVDs, although the last was the weakest.

12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Happy New Guitar Day Eric!

13. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

14. karmadave

karmadave Member

That's what I'm hopping for :)

15. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

He's extremely lucky to have survived the 70's and 80's due to his lifestyle, but as far as his longevity since then, sobriety and taking care of himself have been his main goals since the 80's. Along with being filthy rich and having access to the best medical care, I imagine that's helped keep him going.

16. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

He did Let It Rain with them and it was definitely high point of the show. and they came out for the encore. would have loved for them to been out for few more tunes -- Clapton was clearly most engaged and did his best playing when they were out there with him

17. monty

monty Member

I'd buy it for sure too. Yeah that last crossroads was easily the weakest, cant put my finger on why though.

18. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I'm happy to hear him singing that good at 70. Listening to the entire song (which I love) I can't help thinking "aaah, its a bit downsized again, no drive in the drums, no roaring Hammond" and then from about 4:00, the three of them go into a short triple solo in perfect harmony and I'm happy to have watched the video to the last second.
    Thanks for posting that!

19. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

20. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Maybe it was the terrible directing, the out of focus shots, Snap zooms, the worthless shots (Like the back of someone's head when they weren't even playing) or shooting the guitar player so all you saw was the back of the neck? And no graphics to let you know who was who. I didn't recognize everyone. There'd be a sound bite and I'm going, "Who was that?"
    I gave mine away.