Eric Dolphy appreciation thread. Amazing Musician

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by proreverb68, Oct 3, 2008.

1. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

What do you you think of when you hear the name Eric Dolphy?

Songs like Fire Waltz with Mal Waldron...really blow me away.

I notice the huge jumps in his lines...his angular patterns and yet...it all flows so smooothly.
    He plays the most outrageous lines and yet...It's legitimate language when he plays.

Incredible.

There is a lot to learn about playing music, in that mans playing.
    I think musicians will be unpacking the genius of his work and dedication for generations to come.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. Gene

Gene Member

Eric Dolphy is a true artist and I am enthralled by his music. His music has the power to change minds and thought. To transcend human limitations.

It does tweak my emotions a bit because he died heart broken in Europe. So little appreciation for his art in his life time like so many of the true great artists!

Thanks for bringing up Dolphy here on TGP.

3. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

4. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Inspiring human being, as well as musician. His recorded output, dedication to his art and, from everything I've read about him, his warmth and kindness are wonderful legacies to leave behind (although left much too early). Out To Lunch never leaves the rotation here.

David

5. antojado

antojado Member

His flute solo on Stolen Moments is one of my favorites.

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

To be honest, the phrase hit and miss. When he misses it sounds to me like he's trying to put a round peg into a square hole. But when he hits... :bow

7. fazen

fazen Member

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Track 6:Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue

8. johnw

johnw Member

Thanks for starting this post. I have the Live @ Village Vanguard 4 CD w Coltrane, and when listening to Coltrane solos, you think, wow who can top that? Answer: Eric Dolphy. Faster, more fluid, better intonation, etc than even the great Coltrane, whose solos sound disjointed compared to ED's--albeit Coltrane played with unparalleled intensity, if perhaps as a compensation for all that spluttering.

Dolphy, IMO, may THE greatest lead voice to ever play--anything. Granted, Dolphy did not have Coltrane's "pop" sensibility--which made Coltrane quite famous and relatively successful--and granted Dolphy's music isnt for everyone. A new crop of "Shred" guitarists (and bassists, such as Ray Riendeau) are, IMO trying to do what many black saxists were doing, or trying to do, in the 60s and 70s--blow the roof off with warp speed macho fusion music. It is hard to imagine playing faster and more articulately than ED did. Long live the whole tone scale!

9. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

"Once you play it, it just goes off into the air." Eric Dolphy

10. 909one

909one Member

Out to Lunch is one of my favorite records for sure. He was amazing.

11. mike walker

mike walker Member

Dolphy. A true genius in my opinion. Brilliant. And so melodic even when his contours looked like an alp horizon.

Mike

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

A classic Zappa album to be sure, but I recommend listening to recordings that actually feature Dolphy's playing, rather than just other people doing impressions of him.

13. 7/4

7/4 Member

plus, I think it's a really cool title, but I'm not too sure it has anything to do with Dolphy.

:puh