Eric Gales Lesson DVD's...

TropicBoy

I was thinking the same thing looking at the site... looks scammy as sh*t! I am also waiting to get some feedbakc before making a move.

Yer Blues

EG talked about these dvds on facebook. $117 does seem pricey, but I guess if you break it down it's around $30 per DVD.
What I'm interested in that I can't figure out at all is some of those gospel/jazz type chords EG uses. His soloing/single note style is "less" tricky for me..... but those chords.... I can't even get close. :confused

TropicBoy

EG talked about these dvds on facebook. $117 does seem pricey, but I guess if you break it down it's around $30 per DVD.
What I'm interested in that I can't figure out at all is some of those gospel/jazz type chords EG uses. His soloing/single note style is "less" tricky for me..... but those chords.... I can't even get close. :confused
They are insane. He really makes the most having the high e on top the the low E at the bottom. Using his thumb, this allows him some really cool voicings.

Yer Blues

They are insane. He really makes the most having the high e on top the the low E at the bottom. Using his thumb, this allows him some really cool voicings.
Yeah... I think that is it along with the jazz/gospel thing. I never really got into either jazz or gospel so I can't cop it... haha.

thornie

Silver Supporting Member
I took lessons with Greg Koch for a while and we did a whole lesson on weird Eric Gales chords. Greg showed me how Eric covered Hendrix tunes, and I was completely lost.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I have a friend that takes private lessons from him over the internet. You may want to look into that. No idea what he charges.

brewer90

I bought the set a couple of weeks ago. I've only had time to get through the first lesson so can't give much of a review. The website is a bit cheesy.

However I might be able to save you some $$ when you order them. If you read the copy it says near the bottom - see bold

"Even by DVDs standards, these are easily worth $49 a pop...

But you won't pay $200.

Eric charges $150/hr for Skype lessons. With over
5 hours of content, this package is a NO-BRAINER.

You're gonna love this epic 4 DVD learning experience complete with easy-to-read tabs.

You won't even pay $100."

When I added it to my cart it was $127 which is definitely over $100. So I went to the main guitarcontrol page and started a chat with customer service. They said the original introductory price was $99 or something but that was over however they would still honor it. I think it was about $108 shipped.

Daka3

Care to share your views in a lottle bit more depth? Ii too am oogling these discs. Love Eg, whom I consider to be of the true greats and perhaps the best blues guitar player alive today.

Balm

Anyone care to share their experience with the Eric Gales DVD's? I am thinking about getting them soon

townsend

I think that Claude Johnson is behind other DVDs that have come out in the past, and the experience of TGPers has not been very pleasant.

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
Pfffttt....Wanna sound like Eric?

Play guitar a zillion hours a day, every day, forever. That’s the only way you’re gonna get there.

happidural

So curiosity got the best of me and I bought the EG videos. The format is Eric plays for about 20min, and then some no talent ass clown – I’m assuming that’s Claude, has a 20 min segment where he tries to explain what Eric is doing – Poorly! Eric is tuned to E flat, the other guy is tuned to E- and Claude basically walks you through every fingering, note by note, of what he thinks Eric may be doing.
Sadly he, and his sparse transcriptions, completely miss the mark.
Don’t get me wrong- The Eric segments are great – and if you put in the time painstakingly figuring out what he is doing you will get a lot out of the videos. I’ve spent hours transcribing Eric’s licks on the video- trying to nail his unorthodox fingerings (which surprisingly end up being kind of similar to what Shawn Lane was doing).
I think it would have been worth the price had they hired a professional transcriber. Of the 2 hours of video- theres only about 1 hour total of Eric playing. There are only 12 transcribed licks- and they are what Claude (or whoever that dude is) is doing - not Eric.
As for the gospel chords- he does go into that quite a bit- and Claude takes a stab at transcribing a few. Some of the EG chords are downright impossible to play right side up! Most of them are possible though- weird configurations of sus chords.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I saw Eric opening up for Walter Trout tonight and he was killer. Honestly, I'd never heard any of Eric's music until now. Great playing...and Walter was no slouch either. It was a total guitarfest.

Falsecrack

I have a friend that takes private lessons from him over the internet. You may want to look into that. No idea what he charges.
So this begs the question: How’s your friend’s playing? Does he sound like Eric at all? I’m genuinely curious.

Trending Topics