Eric Johnson - Dumble -Youtube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robbert, Jul 17, 2006.

1. robbert

robbert Member

Hi everybody,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMk1Nl4fKOk&mode=related&search=

From 1:00 to about 1:12, the part with the hendrixy chords I believe he uses a Dumble Steel String Singer. Anybody read different? I really like the sound of it and I was wondering if anybody has been trying to get a similar type of tone. What amp?? (beside the Dumble, and the Two Rock sterling). From what I've read the high wattage is really a big part of that sound.

2. robbert

robbert Member

Anybody please? Thanks :)

3. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I'd tell you if I knew. Consider this a bump for your thread. Although, if you really want one I think Tony Bruno could build you one, as I recall he does custom amps.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    With 6 (or whatever) amps and 10 pedals in his rig, how could you possibly know which ones he's using at any particular moment?

5. robbert

robbert Member

Hi,

In the beginning of the full video he states that he uses his Fender Twins in stereo for the really clean tones, and his Marshall + Tubedriver for lead. The Dumble Steel String Singer is the amplifier he used at that time for the dirty rhythm. And he also used it in conjunction with a fuzz face for an alternate lead tone.

Thanks for commenting everybody

6. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

7. robbert

robbert Member

Maybe any Custom Audio Electronics OD-100 owners who tried anything similar with the clean channel? Looks like this amp's clean channel is somehow comparable.

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

You don't need a Dumble to get that tone. BTW he was using a Tube Screamer into the Dumble at the time for those dirty rythyms. IMHO You can cop that sound with a Tube Screamer with a hint of drive and a nice blackface Fender. Try a Bassman for instance.

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

You can get extremely close to that tone with a vintage style 4 input Marshall or a blackface/silverface Fender with a pedal. Of course, it helps if you are Eric Johnson - a LOT of his tone is in his hands. He doesn't even use the Dumble anymore, plus a Steel String Singer is supposed to be a loud clean amp like a twin reverb, but even louder. I believe they were originally intended for pedal steel players.

10. xroads

xroads Member

Maybe I get flamed fo this - but I don't like this overdriven sound at all.
    It doesn't have too much edge and definition, the delay adds some to this.
    Getm e right please - I absolutely respect the quality of his playing, and the innovation.

11. robbert

robbert Member

Thanks everybody :)

12. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

Sounded like the dumble. He used it as his "dirty rythym amp" with a fuzz face. He also used an MXR flanger/doubler with that amp live for "High Landrons". On the ACL dvd at the beginning of "Cliffs" he plays a chord and uses the MXR to "loop" it and plays over that. He described the SSS to me as "...a big overbuilt Twin."

13. robbert

robbert Member

I read Eric has developed a dirty rhythm amp with http://www.fultonwebb.com/. The first 2 stratocaster sample clips are without a fuzz, cool sound! I also like the 3rd clip with the fuzzface.

Here's a quote from their website:

14. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

I am always thrilled with Eric Johnson's playing. I sometimes wish he'd turn the reverb and echo down though... man can he play.

15. lousyatit

What's really sick is to sit in a small room with him and watch him warm up using a Princeton Reverb or a tweed Deluxe. So MANY sounds and he NEVER touches a knob.

16. robbert

robbert Member

Definately an incredible player :drool

17. robbert

robbert Member

There's an interview with the builders about the amp (dr45) here: http://www.ericjohnson.com/flash/fultonwebb.html

And here's a snippet from another interview with Eric Johnson himself (gotten from here: http://www.ericjohnson.com/flash/ejlist6.html):

18. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

Wow, that chick can really play.
    Sort of dresses like a guy though...

19. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

You nailed it!- I just about fell out of my seat when I read this. Anyway - Erica Johnson seems to be very insecure with herself. She never takes a risk - she's very calculated - yet very good at what she does.

20. lousyatit

What makes you think he doesn't take risks?