Eric Johnson............East Wes

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Rock Fella, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

click on 1st fretmarker to open the mp3....http://web.onetel.com/~jamesmichael21/

I have an excellent backer for this song so I went for the light and shade contained within the track , a la East Wes is my tipping of the hat to Wes Montgomery and Eric Johnson , I hope you like it and thanks for giving it a listen.

Jimmy

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

does this clip suck, please tell me, its how i progress and learn , im a total novice at mixing and am trying to learn this craft as I go along. 55 views and not a solitary comment , be it good, indifferent or bad :confused:

On another site the playing and style was praised but fault was found with the overall mix, it was noted that i applied a bit too much reverb which led to the gtr being pushed a bit farther back than neccessary. ALL objective points raised are worthy in my books so please post some thoughts.A site like TGP most certainly has a membership whos views are definitely worth taking on board :dude

Jimmy

3. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

i'll chime in...

i think the overall mix sounded ok, only thing lacking was low end. the bass guitar seemed real far back in the mix. did you run any kind of mastering plugin on this? like waves l3 ultramaximizer? if not that should help bring up the levels. I guess the whole thing sounded too far back to me, not up front... maybe that is what you were going for?

another thing is what are you using for mixing? speakers? headphones? you really need a good set of flat monitors that you are familiar with to get the best mix that translates to any type of device.

dave

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Now thats the kind of feedback that is worth studying. :AOK

Im so inexperienced at home recording i dont even know what a mastering plug in is let alone know how to use one. :confused: Ill certainly read into what you are suggesting at dude. I dont mean to be harsh with anybody, but I post a clip from time to time to try to take onboard mixing tips and improvements I could make , 55 replies and nobody bothering to say anything is kinda frustrating, especially when there is so much you can learn here................im sure you understand.

Thanks for taking the time to raise this point :dude

Jimmy

5. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

I just listened to it twice, first off, real nice job on a tough tune,
    I would agree with the reverb problem you mentioned,not
    sure what you are using for reverb, but the 1 you have is eating
    up a bit too much space to my ears, assuming you have not printed the
    verb that should be easily fixed......I also as a listener would like
    to hear a better balance in the vol levels of the melody, the arped chords
    seem quite a bit louder then say the octaves, not that everything has to be dead even, dynamics are good, I would probably ride the volume levels
    of the guitar in the mix, to even them out a bit...............
    I also would probably bring the other instruments up a bit (But that just might be the guit verb eating too much space)
    The guitar playing itself is great, wouldn't change a thing.............
    All in All I would say Killer job on a great tune, I think if you fix up the verb issue it will be even more slamming!
    As far as people here responding to posts, sometimes it takes awhile, I think it depends on how much traffic & new clips are up on the page........
    Thanks for posting the tune, I have dug a bunch of other stuff you have posted and this 1 is real good too..........

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Thankyou very much, I appreciate your comments sub-d

Jimmy