• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Eric Johnson equivalent Strats?

rwijaya

My rosewood EJ has a soft V type neck.
Oh wow really? I feel like I have a different than the spec then. I’m curious about what the actual spec is from fender.

EDIT: yeah, its a V shape neck according to fender site. wow, looks like mine is one-off. it has a C shape carve. very comfortable carve.

Ayrton

EJs have the deep body contours that the original pre-CBS Strats did. During the CBS years the contours gradually become less pronounced. The deep contours are very comfortable.

My EJ has a definite V shape neck too, dated December 2005. The body is January '06. Apparently the V has become softer over time. Would be interesting to hear what year those EJs are that the owners are reporting a C shape. Perhaps the V has been reduced on more recent ones.
Mine EJ was built in March of ‘05. Opinions will vary on what is “C” compared to “V”, but no complaints here

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Mine EJ was built in March of ‘05. Opinions will vary on what is “C” compared to “V”, but no complaints here
Body and neck both March? That's early; IIRC they released in August of '05. What serial range? Got to be low. The V is soft to be sure.

zeb13

Silver Supporting Member
@zeb13, what do you mean by the 'old one' what year exactly? Sounds like I should have kept my 20114 EJ :horse
I've got a 2006 maple board 'burst, and a 2015? rosewood board aqua lucerne
firemist. They are both great guitars, but the 2006 is one of the best Strats
I've ever played. I chose it over Custom Shop guitars. I chose it over my last
Danocaster. It's just an incredible guitar. I've heard other guys say that about
the early production runs as well, but I don't know. Maybe I just got lucky.

Ayrton

Body and neck both March? That's early; IIRC they released in August of '05. What serial range? Got to be low. The V is soft to be sure.
If I remember correctly, the serial is 00601 (or close to it). The pick guard was wired 3/16/05 and when I emailed Fender about it, they told me serial were not sequential but mine would have been very early.

I bought it second hand, but it came with the original sales slip. You can read the story here.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?325451-NGD-(or-how-I-finally-found-another-one)

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
@Ayrton, nice work on the refret. I'm surprised that the neck has almost no figuring. It doesn't look quarter-sawn. Odd. I'm guessing the previous owner added the string tree.

Ayrton

Thanks, the grain lines in the wood give away the quarter sawn. Yeah, string tree was on it. I have several strats, but this one is among my favorites

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have smaller hands? I do
I've always liked smaller, thinner necks. I had an old Ibanez Saber 540 years ago -- man, I loved that crazy-thin neck! But over the years I've found myself returning to Strats over and over, and tho I like soft V necks and some other shapes, the medium C is hard to beat (for me).

But to answer your question: I'm quite average, so no fan of baseball bats! :D

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't say the V has decreased over time necessarily. My EJ is an '04 or '05 (I can't remember which) and it is not really a V at all.

EDIT : as per a previous post, these came out in March '05. So mine is an '05, probably a early '06. Getting old sucks.

EJs have the deep body contours that the original pre-CBS Strats did. During the CBS years the contours gradually become less pronounced. The deep contours are very comfortable.

My EJ has a definite V shape neck too, dated December 2005. The body is January '06. Apparently the V has become softer over time. Would be interesting to hear what year those EJs are that the owners are reporting a C shape. Perhaps the V has been reduced on more recent ones.

SFW

The EJ Strat has been called custom shop quality for a long time. **EJ quality but more modern in terms of the neck feel like a 'C'

What are some other EJ quality strats out there?

Not interested in parts casters unless I could play it 1st. thanks for any suggestions!
I recently picked up a Sweetwater UAS Professional Strat, and have been very impressed with the quality of the guitar. From the roasted maple neck to the impeccable fret work, the guitar is top notch. It does have a very light satin finish on the neck. I have only played one Fender Custom Shop guitar- a 53 reissue Tele that was just insanely lively. So my CS experience is limited.. but I can say that of the recent Professional series strats that I have played, they have all been very nice guitars. Mine is very resonant, and absolutely sings when played through an amp. Best of luck in your search.

rwijaya

I wouldn't say the V has decreased over time necessarily. My EJ is an '04 or '05 (I can't remember which) and it is not really a V at all.

EDIT : as per a previous post, these came out in March '05. So mine is an '05, probably a early '06. Getting old sucks.
my used to own 2006 EJ has a very soft V with a huge shoulder, so it feels much more like a D with a slight hump in the middle.
my current one I think its a 2012 rosewood, has a more C shape carve to it. no sign of a V at all. its funny how the neck carve can vary this much.

Trending Topics