• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Eric Johnson & Mike Stern album

Sorry if this has already been posted. If not, watch this video!

I am a long time Eric Johnson fan. He was a big influence on me. I am hit and miss with Mike, although I love his playing. His clean sound is beautiful, but I wish he would leave his distortion sound at home.

Nevertheless this little video sounds better than I would have expected, especially that last tune "Remember".

Baminated

Ya I caught a lot of the live blue note clips.
Mikes playing, time, and feel has so much conviction & skill, it makes EJ sound like a jam nighter.
It's such a disparity when they are on the same stage

parker

Can't wait for this one! Such a fan of both players, for different reasons.... great video btw, thanks!

Ya I caught a lot of the live blue note clips.
Mikes playing, time, and feel has so much conviction & skill, it makes EJ sound like a jam nighter.
It's such a disparity when they are on the same stage

I don't know if I would go that far. I just hear two different styles and two different players with their own voice.

davetone

Thanks for posting the video! I've had the privilege of seeing both of them on their own respective tours in the past. They are both inspirational in their own ways. I love both of their styles and techniques, even though they are different from each other (which is one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to this CD). And their tones are so unique, one thing that will be good is that it will be easy to tell who's playing what parts.

I'd love to catch them on tour but it doesn't look like they'll be coming to the Twin Cities.

Jp2558

I didn't know who Mike Stern was until I saw him at a jazz festival about ten yeas ago. Got to meet and chat with him before his performance (I was a volunteer working the festival), and his performance blew me away. Monster player and his chorus tone doesn't bother me in the least (and I'm not a fan of the chorus pedal). Mike is that good, so him and EJ together might be something special.

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
I will be obtaining this music in the near future. Thanks for the heads up!

SamBooka

This was posted earlier.. I pulled the trigger on the cd 17$ plus shipping because it is signed by MS and EJ.

tribalfusion

I saw them a few times on the last tour....simply awesome. They have many different strengths and some overlap which is a recipe for a great duo.

I'll be at a few of these shows too.

jeff_lebowski

I feel like their tones are too similar to really make me want to listen to a whole album of it.

Stern's ideas and playing are great but I would like to hear him without any effects, that style of guitar tone is super terrible to me.

tribalfusion

I feel like their tones are too similar to really make me want to listen to a whole album of it.

Stern's ideas and playing are great but I would like to hear him without any effects, that style of guitar tone is super terrible to me.

Huh?

I couldn't disagree more about their similarity. And by effects you mean what? Stern uses very few effects unless you just mean his pitch-shift (which Johnson does NOT use).

SamBooka

yeah.. someone should hide Stern's chorus pedal.. but that would be like Autotuning Neil Young.. just not something one should do.

Fidel

I think it's great that Eric and Mike, who come form different worlds, are playing together and making it work. Eric, is not a jazzer, but at least he is out there trying and working on playing through changes. I'm sure, Mike is also getting good exposure (Not that Mike is not known, but, Eric has the larger fan base) and is benefiting financially. It's a win, win, for everyone.

Same thing with the Ringers, great players working with each other and killing it.

SamBooka

I think it's great that Eric and Mike, who come form different worlds, are playing together and making it work. Eric, is not a jazzer, but at least he is out there trying and working on playing through changes.
I used to think Eric was not a jazzer until I heard of the electromagnets.

tribalfusion

I used to think Eric was not a jazzer until I heard of the electromagnets.

I like Eric a lot and appreciate his playing back then too on the way to becoming who he is today but he isn't comfortable playing on a lot of changes like Stern is though he is working on it like another poster mentioned which is great. The piece you posted is pretty straight forward harmonically more like the Jeff Beck fusion period (again, I really enjoy it too).

It's a great combination as Stern and Eric have different strengths and some overlap as well and are fantastic musicians.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom