Eric Johnson new cd EJ

Big L

He has been playing one rainy wish for 30 years same for the Sunrise...
Same for the Simon and Garfunkel .... Nice recording though.

paulg

Gold Supporting Member
Very nice recording, looking forward to seeing him later in January.

Funkhauser

Well I have listened to this now and really dig it. One Rainy Wish is beautiful. It's all good though. I think I like the instrumentals the most though. Such a flawless player.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
If he ONLY played acoustic, he'd still be a guitar icon. He's a conduit of the universal flow of harmonics and melody. (Something I also always felt from Michael Hedges, who is my other all-time greatest guitar influence)

PS: IMHO, his vocals would NOT work in a typical rock band, but they perfectly fit his soft, spacey songwriting style. Anyone else singing his songs would be weird.

Telefunky

EJ is one of the greatest virtuosos of the guitar ever, but like most of the virtuoso guitarists, his voice is merely 'good enough' to get the point across.
That said, his vocals on the 'Tones' album are very good throughout.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
EJ is one of the greatest virtuosos of the guitar ever, but like most of the virtuoso guitarists, his voice is merely 'good enough' to get the point across.
That said, his vocals on the 'Tones' album are very good throughout.
i agree with this wholeheartedly. i think for many fans of his music the vocal limitations are part of the charm. his songwriting style at its best is very personal and more "small" than grandiose like a robert plant, etc. that's i think why "smaller" songs like "Bristol Shore" and "I Promise I Will Try" resonate so much than his rocking Hendrix covers, which IMO are borderline laughable.

KissTone

Silver Supporting Member
I saw him on this acoustic tour. House sound was waaaay too bright, but he's still an incredible player. I also was quite impressed with his piano playing. Singing, not so much.

Overall show was a little sleepy. He's not a dynamic stage presence, but he seems like he'd be an nice guy.

Scafeets

Silver Supporting Member
I’m a big EJ fan, and will even tolerate his occasional singing, but I’m disappointed. There are too many great acoustic guitar artists and albums out there for a mediocre effort like this.

dez

Good record. Saw him about 10 years ago on an acoustic tour and I liked that a little more than this record. One voice, one instrument.

Matt L

I agree that his voice works just fine on his own material,but not as much on the covers.

It always comes back to what is in that person, who he really is. EJ is not an ego-driven extrovert. His voice and stage demeanor reflect that. He's concentrating on the music and his playing, not putting on a flashy show. In the past,sure, I've wished he was more animated and showed on his face more of what was coming out of his guitar, but he's just not a Vai or SRV in that way. He's emotional in his own way, but that "ballsiness" just isn't part of his makeup.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I’m a big EJ fan, and will even tolerate his occasional singing, but I’m disappointed. There are too many great acoustic guitar artists and albums out there for a mediocre effort like this.
Eric has a fine voice, what are you talking about? I only have Tones, but thought he sang well.

Trending Topics