Eric Johnson Playing Through a G-DEC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wesman61, May 3, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

2. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

Oh NOooooo! Now G-dec's are going to be $5000.00 with a 2 year waiting list.

3. starjag

starjag Member

I am looking into replicating the AxeFX challenge with a my little sister's G-DEC. Dude, I am so excited after watching this EJ's youtube clip.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Tone is in the gdec foshizzle.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Not true. G-DECs use the basic Fender Cyber technology and it's quite good. You just need to dump the silly tweener poser presets and roll your own. Though the Spider Jam appears to be a much superior product for the market segment due to its many and excellent live recorded loops and vastly bigger memory for recording your own SOS loops. And its two-way speaker setup.

6. Wesman61

I had a Cyber Deluxe that really surprised Me. The cleans were not as lush as a good tube amp but it was definately a great amp for getting a lot of tones w/o sounding too digital.

7. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Not that impressive overall. Eric makes an OK amp sound better?

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Yeah, the Cyber engine does surprisingly good Fender BF cleans (sparkly/glassy stuff) and has some good overdrive tones in moderation. Doesn't do Marshall well. But has terrific effects: rev/chorus/delays are very nice.

Problem with Fender is they don't support their hardware with software like Line 6 does. Gimme the Cyber engine any day over the Line 6 POD-based emulations and effects. But Line 6 really delivers on deep support and non-engine features. Fender's is virtually non-existant.

Nobody's suggesting that the Cyber engine beats tube, just that it does a good job for its intended purpose here of a super versatile practice tool.

9. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Anyone change out the 10" speaker in the G-DEC 30?
    If so, to what? Thanks.

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I dunno, but the Ragin Cajun would be an obvious choice. It sure transforms the Super Champ XD which has a Cyber engine front end.

11. digital jams

digital jams Member

Sounds great!

Man I need to improve more so that I can get great tones out of anything :phones

12. jtwang

jtwang Member

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Eric's playing is flawless of course...his style is so well developed...man he loves those string skipping arpeggios. What he does, he does better than anyone. But tone? That GDEC sounds like crap. Like listening to EJ through a rental car stereo. Yeah, the playing is great, no, the overall tone is lame. Playing vs.tone...don't confuse the two. Of course the GDEC would make a decent rehearsal amp, but so would a Peavey Bandit and a metronome.

14. digital jams

digital jams Member

Oh boy.................................

15. coxswain

coxswain Member

Just close your eyes and then listen. He sounds exactly like he always does!

Chase

16. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I think it sounds great.

17. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Actually, the preset he built sounds killer. That's the point, there are some good, workable tones a guy with an ear can build in the G-DEC sandbox. That Shane dufus who designed the original presets was apparently setting the median age for the product at 9.2. Adults with taste can make it rock.

18. Wesman61

I feel bad for all The Guys Who bought EJ Sig Strats thinking they were the tonal key. :JAM Could have saved a bundle.:D

19. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I agree.

I enjoyed the vid and thought it sounded cool, but I think it sounded like EJ through a bad stereo.

Sure, we can blame youtube, but a lot of his "tone" comes from his note-choice and vibrato.

I'm not convinced on the amp.

20. Figher53

Figher53 Member

Sounded like a great player through a very mediocre amp. To me, most (if not all) of the things that are inherently 'EJ sounding" are coming from his hands and his guitar, not the amp.

If it works for him, who am I to say otherwise? I sure ain't buying one, though...