Eric Johnson: red house analysis

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by RyanMcVicker, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Member

Looks like the video was deleted.. but this is what he plays:

e------------7--7--------10--11----
    b-------4-5--6--7--9-12--9---10---
    g------------------10--------------
    d-------4-6-----7------------------
    a----------------------------------
    e----7-----------------------------

the general intervals.. without the rhythm involved..

anyone know in theory whats going on? diatonic triads going up leading to the dom7 of b is all i can see in it... kinda confusing to me of like what this means in theory function?

I want to learn more of that Jerry reed/chet atkins style chordings... reminds me of this.. but it helps me to know whats really going on theory wise...

2. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

It is a mixture of a B mixolydian scale with an added b3 and b5. You can also look at that as mixing a B major pent scale and a B minor blues scale. The intervals would be R, 2, b3, 4, b5, 5, 6, b7. I wrote an article on this in Premier Guitar and called it the composite blues scale. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you lived with out it!

I hope this helped!

3. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Member

I mean chord wise what is going on? To get that chromatic movement sound.. can you only do that with the tritone? I think it's more than just looking at mixing maj and blues scales? I know what you mean with the parallel pentatonic scales... I learned that years ago and it blew my mind... Same thing with looking at every parallel mode up and down the whole fret board...

I am more or less asking about theory analysis... How do would you write it out? Example: rock/blues are mostly I-IV-V7....

A similar type of chordal movement would be something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ybR3gL_sc

Like, HOW would one go about writing something like this? Besides just plucking notes that sound good... How can i look at this in a theory vision for it to make sense?

4. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Member

5. AndyNOLA

AndyNOLA Member

Joe Satrianni, wow!

6. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

In the article you pointed out the composite blues scale as root–2–b3–3–4–b5–5–6–b7. This can be played this over the I chord. Over the IV you said to leave out the 3rd. So, the scale over the IV becomes root–2–b3–4–b5–5–6–b7? What about over the V chord?