Eric Johnson Strat experts, String tree?

SKYHIGH

I recall seeing somewhere that real earlier EJ strat from 2005/6 do have string tree on the headstock. Can anyone validate this to be the case? I know majority EJ out there do not.

Shopping form EJ just want to better educate my self.

Thanks

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
No. None of the EJ strats had string trees. The only one that has a string tree is one of the prototypes that Eric has and uses on stage. It's a black one. He said they hadn't gotten the string angle quite right yet, but he apparently likes that guitar.

By production time they had it worked out, so all the production models have no tree.

FiestaRed869

All I know is tnat is the perfect neck. 12' radius, soft V, medium jumbo frets. Just had a musikraft neck made to those specs

jazzrat

No string trees. I've had 5 going back to 2005. I did put one on the 2-tone I have now.
Even though it was not needed, I like the feel better. Also, it may be my imagination but the tone on the E and B sound a little rounder and less plinky.

James

Matt is correct. It was just on the very first prototype, and Eric liked that guitar and plays it a lot. None of the production EJ Strats have string trees, by design.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I read that the staggered tuner posts created the "correct" string angle and pull to eliminate the need for a string tree. Agreed that this is one of the best production strat necks I've ever played. Especially the rosewood models.

FiestaRed869

I read that the staggered tuner posts created the "correct" string angle and pull to eliminate the need for a string tree. Agreed that this is one of the best production strat necks I've ever played. Especially the rosewood models.
Never actually played one, but after making my musikraft neck I realized it's the same specs, can't wait to get it

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
It's the staggered post in combination with the slightly thinner headstock. That allows room on the post to get a few wraps and angle the string downward.

Ape Factory

I just measured my EJ neck's headstock and my Warmoth strat headstock (I don't have another Fender headstock to measure). Both come in about 13mm thick. I'm using Gotoh HAPM locking and height adjustable tuners to replicate the EJ's no string tree and given I don't wrap, wondering if I should lower the tuner shaft a bit more. I've not had a string come out of the nut slot but is there a magic break angle number I should be looking for?

ieso

The headstock on my EJ is approx 13.7 close to the nut, 13.4 in the middle, and 13.1 toward the end

buddastrat

I've added a few to them for folks. Early ones were notorious for popping out, and getting the sitar effect on the high E string. I prefer a tree even when the nuts cut as well as can be.

amp48

I put a string tree on to get rid of the sitar sound I was getting. The ringing/buzzing was unbearable, especially for such a nice guitar.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 2005 EJ. No String tree on mine, no issues with the nut or sitar sounds, etc that a lot of people have. The only thing I'd change on it (that I haven't already), I'd prefer a 9.5" radius. But this is a life guitar for me, never get rid of it.

Gevalt

I used to wrap my b+e strings all the way down to avoid the string tree, as I like the tonal effect. I changed the tuners to staggered Gotoh's this year. I should've got the locking ones, but they're great.

Trending Topics