Eric Johnson Strat high E "Sitaring" issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lv, May 16, 2006.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've read that some of these strats can have this issue when playing the high E open. A dealer told me it is a nut issue and easily fixed, another told me its a tuner issue and can only be fixed by adding a string tree.

Anyone have this issue and get it fixed without adding the string tree? Anyone have one that does not have this issue?

Thanks

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like an issue to do with the angle of the string in the nut slot or perhaps the way the slot has been cut.

Try winding more string towards the bottom of the tuning post and see if that helps.

I've always done that on the "G" of normal strats and teles for a bit of extra down pressure.

3. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

I had one - it did not have this issue - my brother has one as well, and it doesn't either. I don't believe this is a common problem with these guitars, but I do remember someone else having this very issue, posted on this Forum, about 9-10 months ago, sadly I don't recall the resolution to the issue. However you shouldn't have to resort to adding a string tree.

Perhaps adding a few more downward winds on the high E tuner?

-- Barr

4. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

Ok - I did a little more searching. If you go to the Fender Discussion Page - and search the Fender Guitars: Stratocasters Forum for the word Sitar - you will find lots of discussion in regards to this effect on the Eric Johnson Strat. Lots of stuff to wade thru there.... www.fenderforum.com -- Barr

5. OLIE J

OLIE J Member

Mine doesn't have this issue. If a nut is not cut properly, this could be an issue. I can't see the stock tuners being an issue at all if strung up correctly. Just wind the strings down the post to get a good break angle over the nut.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks for the input. I don't own one, but am considering one (another).

7. robbert

robbert Member

I had the same issue, I told my guitar store to maybe make a new nut, but they filled up the high e nut slut with something, and the sitar effect is gone, so it's just a nut issue, at least with mine.

Sad to see that people add string trees to solve a problem that's much easier to solve.

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I had a Tee added to mine. It was the only "bad" thing about my EJ. The guitar is so nice otherwise, I do not even mind anymore. It did bother me a bit at the time. My EJ stays in tune even with some wild whammy stuff. The tee is just touching the E and B. I did try winding extra string down the post to help the angle, but there was still a bit of sitar. I had the local builder check the nut first, and he did tweak it some, but in the end I felt the Tee would fix the last bit of noise, and it did.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The EJ has staggered height tuning pegs which help, but you are still limited in the amount of downward pressure that you can get without a tree. In cases where there is a sitar effect on the high E or B, it's probably a combination of the nut slot being more critical (with less downward pressure) and the lower pressure itself. I suspect that in many cases a very carefully cut nut may solve the problem by itself, and in other cases a string tree may make the nut slot a bit less critical and also solve the problem by itself. Of course, more wraps on the E and B posts are always good too to increase downward pressure.

In this photo, the EJ is on the right:
    [​IMG]

10. Luke V

Luke V Member

No problems with mine, I really like this guitar.

11. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

My EJ has the "sitar issue." For me, it's a non-issue.

It's only perceptible when the high E string is played open, acoustically, in the middle frets. Fretted, or plugged in, it's a non-issue. I have good ears and VERY good amps, and I just don't hear it. I play around acoustically a lot without plugging in, and it never bothers me. In fact, I can only hear it when I'm specifically trying to hear it.

This isn't honeymoon/new-gear rationalization. I've had the EJ almost a year, and I normally play Gibson Custom Shop exclusively. My EJ is an amazing guitar, and I won't touch a thing on it. I'll take the sitar if I can keep a guitar that sounds this good out of the box. All I've changed is the strings, didn't even need a setup. Half my Gibsons had to be modded to get what I wanted, all but one have hand-cut replacement bone nuts. The originals sucked.

Personally, I think the lack of string trees and the staggered tuning pegs is gimmicky on the EJ. But the amazing neck/frets, build quality, light weight, finish, terrific pickups and switching all add up to a very, VERY good guitar. :cool:

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Sounds like we are in agreement on the non-issue. I am soo happy with the guitar as a whole, I do not mind the T. I have had mine since November, and it is my only guitar. I am allready seeing some fret grooves starting to form. I need another guiatr to give this one a break!!!:D

13. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Its just a nut issue. Have your tech fill the slot and file it cleanly and you should be good to go. Just wind your strings down (you end up using a lot of the string length) and you won't have the problem.

Dude, my EJ sounds AWESOME, you need to get one. Really really happy with this guitar.

14. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

My new ASAT Classic has this issue, even with a string tree installed. I'm 100% sure it's a nut issue. Look how tall it is and how deep the cuts are! It's the one thing about this guitar I'm really disappointed with.
    [​IMG]

15. Don Ramsay

Don Ramsay Member

In several situations where I have run into the issue where there was not enough downward pressure on the high E string, I have pulled the individual tuner and installed a carefully made shim on the back side of the headstock under the tuner gearbox before re-installing it.
    Not liking string trees or multiple windings wrapped around a tuner peg, doing this effectively shortens the front side length the offending tuning peg.
    This may be more difficult on the vintage style (Kluson type) tuners where two adjacent tuners share one mounting screw.
    Works great when the staggered tuners (like Sperzels) are not staggered enough where each tuner mounts individually with its own pair of screws.
    Don

16. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Get a second EJ! :BEER

Seriously, I like mine so much, I'm considering getting another, in a different color. Mine is sunburst, which I love. But the black or white blonde are so classic, especially with the vintage-tinted neck.

That reminds me - the thing that put me off from buying the first EJ I played was the neck tint! The guitar itself just blew me away. But I couldn't get past the strong "orange" neck tint. Others might not have given it a second thought, but it was a deal killer for me, go figure. It sold immediately to a guy who was literally waiting in line behind me to buy it. He heard me try it out through a cranked Marshall half-stack, and said that if I didn't buy it, he was going to. And he did.

The one I eventually bought was much less tinted, perfect with sunburst. In black or white blonde, the tint would have been much less of an issue. But the guitar I looked at was Candy Apple Red, and the excessive orange in the tint on that one just wasn't happenin' for me.

The other thing I like about the EJs is that they all seem to be VERY consistent, tone and feel-wise. I've never played a bad one. They all have this resonance, dynamics, and gut-vibration that just feels so alive, compared to so many dead-wood overpriced planks out there.

I've heard similar comments about Fender Custom Shop Nocaster re-issues, in that it's hard to find a bad one. I love Gibsons, but they can be highly variable in tone and even quailty, in my experience. A good Gibson is a friend for life, but a bad one is an expensive mistake. :eek: