Eric Johnson Strat Owners Speak Up

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AndyFender, Apr 9, 2008.

1. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

Am looking into the Eric Johnson Strat. Would really appreciate some reviews by the folks who use the EJ Strat.

Andy

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I don't own one, but i have used one extensively.

IMO, its the best production strat to come out in my lifetime.

It is sort of an acquired taste in some ways. Not everybody likes v-necks, or 12" radius', but i do. Reminds me a lot of a classical guitar in some ways. I dig almost everything about the guitar, except that I believe fender did sort of cut corners on pickups and hardware. Its a great piece of neck and body though. Because of the high quality/weight restrictions on the wood, fender cheaped out a tad on the other stuff to keep the price down.

3. snarkle

snarkle Member

+1, except I don't think corners were cut...the pickups do pretty much what they were designed to do: sound like a great ’50s Strat. And the hardware is basically the same as on other vintage reissues, as far as I can tell.

My EJ quickly became my #1, as far as Strats go; in fact, I've sold a couple of really nice MIJ examples since acquiring it.

4. joeDRII

joeDRII Member

My drummer has one thats great. If I needed a strat, thats probably the one I'd get.

5. Bing James

Bing James Member

+2 And I also agree that no corners were cut. I never cared for strats until now. Been playing for 40 years and I've owned Gibsons, Ricks, PRS, G&Ls, Fenders, Epi's and Gretsches. This is my all-time favorite.

It is my number one on stage...the tone is outstanding on mine...but be forewarned...you must go to a store that has a few in stock so you can pick the best of the lot. There is a variance from one to the other on these (some I played were unremarkable), so A/B as many as possible. I spent an hour going back and forth between 2 of these after trying 4 in the same store. 2 were ruled out right away...and the other 2 were neck and neck for my affection.
    Warning: Do not buy one blind...try a few and buy the one with the "vibe".
    I did...and I'm thrilled with it.

6. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I suggest that you sand and refinish the neck. That was the only thing wrong with my EJ Strat. If your hand sweats at all the finish on the neck will feel sticky.

7. Bing James

Bing James Member

Never had a problem with a sticky neck on mine (2007 model)...I play 4 hours a night at clubs. However I heard some of the early ones had this problem.

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Mine had a sticky neck but otherwise I really liked it. It wasn't on par with my CS Strat but it was pretty close.

9. trivial

trivial Member

I love my EJ strat. The neck can be a bit sticky at first, but (for me at least) that quickly resolved itself.

I love the neck. The pickups (I think) are great... although some complain they are a bit "hi-fi". The bridge is nice and hot and very usable with the tone knob wired to it.

One of the best strats I have ever played.

.m

10. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

mine is a love/hate one

the neck is too fat for me, and of course the 25.5 scale length makes things a bit worse. but after ive overcome these 2 things, it's easily one of the best strats ive played

11. tone4days

tone4days Member

i very much dig mine

i had to play 5 of em at a GC to get the one i bought ... my guy had 4 waitin for me and i hated em all ... he said 'well, there is one more, but it was the floor model and it has a ding in the back' ... yup,. that was the keeper

nothing about it bugs me too bad - playin the snot out of it has knocked the stickiness out of the neck ... nice sustain and very lively body ... comfy neck carve and weight ...

but i'll tell ya what ... i played some john mayer strats that were at least as good and even a jimmy vaughn that was KILLER ... if i was smart i wouldve bought it and pocketed the difference ... but i HAD to have the EJ

play em all, take home the best one

12. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

First of all if you really love strats, it doesn't hurt to have more thatn one. I have a Squire MiM that is a freak keeper. I got it some ten years ago for $75.00. It is in mint shape. It is very resonant. THe pickup were medicore. SO I put in pickups that are woth 8 times more than the guitar. 73 strat pickups. I am sure I could emulate the 73's fairly close with some duncans or Frailins. But they sound terrific. I also had a mint Jimmie Vaughn that was killer and had Frailin VH's in it. However, I got an EJ, which has a similar neck. It blew away the Jimmie. THe EJ does have that hifi sound which I quite like and is so resonant unplugged. Course all these gutiars were purchased used. Yes the John Mayers is very good as well as the Jeff beck.
    But the EJ is worth every penny and is well made with no corners cut.
    But Andy, I would look the gutiars I just mention as well as the 57ri. I kept the Frailin VH's loaded in the PU and put the orignals back in the Jimmie. My friend has an EJ and I loaned him the Frailins to try in it. It will be interesting to hear the difference

13. _B_

_B_ Member

I've had a sunburst one for about two years. I love it. The bridge pickup isn't as harsh as the other standard production models I have played, which is good in my book. Some people have complained about the lack of a string tree, but honestly, that issue has not caused me any problems. While I have some serious G.A.S.,(since I bought the EJ I have purchased a PRS Hollowbody 2, a Gibson R.I. 335, and a Gibson 61 R.I. SG) , I always end up coming back to the EJ, so I guess that says something about the quality of the guitar.

B.

14. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Good guitar; had mine Plek'd and it became great.

15. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

The Candy Apple Red ones sound the best. :)

Great Strat. The sticky finish clears up quickly with some playing. Love the V neck and the sound - a Strat with a great bridge pickup sound.

+K+

16. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

+1. Mine was not only sticky (more like "rubbery"), but it had a bright orange tint that was very 'unnatural' to my eyes. So, I stripped it and refinned with very thin nitro.

Great playing and sounding guitar. Love the neck profile and 12" radius.

17. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I have had a sunburst one that I bought new last year, love the guitar but I will be swapping out the bridge pickup for something hotter real soon.

18. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

I have four (Custom) Strats, and whatever I tried to change or tuned,
    the EJ is still a stiff guitar to play.

19. andi

andi Member

Love my EJ
    Best strat i've played and there's been many!!
    I ended up selling my Suhr Classic since buying the EJ.
    I've never found it stiff to play. You just need to set it up right!

I use 11's on it and it plays like a dream

20. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

My fav strat, it's a better guitar then the 3 CS I have and my Suhr for me. I did play several to find it, but man, what a guitar.
    Never had a sticky neck...but it does have the static pickguard....haven't done any shielding to stop that as it sounds so damn good. Wouldn't change a thing from stock on mine, been rocking it for several years now.