Eric Johnson strat tone control... losing notes on e & b

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by coolhand78, Feb 5, 2008.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

when i roll the tone control off all the way i lose the notes on the e & b strings, you can hear them but they aren't as loud or as prominent as the other strings, and really get lost when playing with a band... this doesn't happen on my USA std... (this is on the neck pickup mostly...)

any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

L.

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Have you raised the treble side of the pickup? Looks like it uses a .1uF ceramic cap. You might try a different value in a PIO cap and maybe a treble filter across the volume in and out lugs.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Try changing the cap to a .047uf or a .022uf and see if you like it.

Also try raising the treble side of the pickup.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the cap is the culprit. early vintage strats, and i believe the EJ, use a .1uF cap, which knocks out a sizable bit of midrange, to the point of eating into the fundamentals of notes on the high strings. the .047 will "cross over" higher, leaving more mids in when rolled down. the .022, which is what american standards (and gibsons) use, leaves still more in, only knocking off high treble on single coils.

5. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

thanks for that, i had a feeling that it was going to be something like that... is there a particular brand of cap that is "better" than the rest?

6. Zero Point

Zero Point Member