Eric Johnson strat tone control... losing notes on e & b

coolhand78

when i roll the tone control off all the way i lose the notes on the e & b strings, you can hear them but they aren't as loud or as prominent as the other strings, and really get lost when playing with a band... this doesn't happen on my USA std... (this is on the neck pickup mostly...)

any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

L.

Mike9

Supporting Member
Have you raised the treble side of the pickup? Looks like it uses a .1uF ceramic cap. You might try a different value in a PIO cap and maybe a treble filter across the volume in and out lugs.

RvChevron

when i roll the tone control off all the way i lose the notes on the e & b strings, you can hear them but they aren't as loud or as prominent as the other strings, and really get lost when playing with a band... this doesn't happen on my USA std... (this is on the neck pickup mostly...)

any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

L.
Try changing the cap to a .047uf or a .022uf and see if you like it.

Also try raising the treble side of the pickup.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
Try changing the cap to a .047uf or a .022uf and see if you like it.

Also try raising the treble side of the pickup.
the cap is the culprit. early vintage strats, and i believe the EJ, use a .1uF cap, which knocks out a sizable bit of midrange, to the point of eating into the fundamentals of notes on the high strings. the .047 will "cross over" higher, leaving more mids in when rolled down. the .022, which is what american standards (and gibsons) use, leaves still more in, only knocking off high treble on single coils.

coolhand78

the cap is the culprit. early vintage strats, and i believe the EJ, use a .1uF cap, which knocks out a sizable bit of midrange, to the point of eating into the fundamentals of notes on the high strings. the .047 will "cross over" higher, leaving more mids in when rolled down. the .022, which is what american standards (and gibsons) use, leaves still more in, only knocking off high treble on single coils.
thanks for that, i had a feeling that it was going to be something like that... is there a particular brand of cap that is "better" than the rest?

Trending Topics