Eric Johnson tone on Minstrel Gigolo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nicebreakup, Feb 20, 2012.

1. nicebreakup

nicebreakup Member

So I recently discovered this Christopher Cross tune which EJ plays the solo. Anyone have a guess as to what he was playing? I was thinking a Fuzz Face but I know he was starting to use Boogies around then too.

2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Could've been a Mesa MKI, but I think I may have heard that he used one of Cristopher Cross's Dumbles on that one? I know it wasn't long after that period that HAD built him his own SSS and the rest is history.

3. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Wow, just looked it up on YouTube and that's probably the best straight tone I've heard from him. He relies too often on delay and reverb. Just some overdriven amp. Perhaps a Dumble.

4. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

it's the first thing i ever heard ej do and it instantly made him one of my favorite players.
    what a beautiful, tasteful, technically flawless and melodic solo.

5. throbert

throbert Member

I agree! A bass player friend who lived in Austin around 1974 played me a tape of him jamming with EJ around that time. Just an old 335 straight into Marshall. I don't don't he's ever sounded any better than that. Kind of like the best Eric Clapton tone with the finesse of Al Dimieola.

6. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

I can remember at the time people saying that a Dumble, owned by Jackson Browne, was used for all the guitar on that album. The whole album is filled with great playing.

7. DavidG

DavidG Member

I wanna say that was SRV that used the JB Dumble on his first album? Could be wrong about that tho.

8. nicebreakup

nicebreakup Member

I hadn't heard that it might be a Dumble. Yes, all the guitar playing sounds great from Jay Graydon's solo on Say You'll be Mine to LC's on The Light Is On.

9. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

Some of the solos on the album were by Cross himself, who is no slouch on the geetar...

Here's a link to a page where Wichita (Lance Keltner) references Cross's ownership of some Dumbles. To me, the tones on the album sound like they could be Dumbles.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=426580

10. scienceguy

scienceguy Supporting Member

LC's tone on both tunes on the album sound identical to his tone on Strikes Twice, which was released a year later or so. He hadn't switched to a Dumble yet - still used a Mesa Mk I. I remember reading somewhere in an old GP mag that Cross sent the tape over to Carlton and he dubbed the solo in his own studio...
    Of course, I could be mistaken.
    After doing a little digging, here's an old interview, for your reading enjoyment:
    http://jasobrecht.com/eric-johnson-complete-1982-interview/

11. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

AFAIK, it was the 2 speaker output '69 metal panel 100w Marshall that he bought out of the 1981 flood at Strait Music co. with the "Buddy" burst.

[​IMG]

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I loved that album as a kid and MG is the perfect ending. Larry Carlton played on it too. Is it still available?

13. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sorry, you guys knew that LC played

14. nicebreakup

nicebreakup Member

Yeah that Christopher Cross 4 Dumble-rig sounds amazing! I wonder if he had the cash for that while he was recording this album though since this was his first in '79. Maybe it was Jackson Browne's Dumble.

15. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

The guitar played on that solo was a '59 Sunburst that I sold to Eric.
    Don't think it was the one in that pic unless the pickguard had been replaced. I bought the guitar in the 70's for $2500 and sold it to Eric a couple weeks later for $3500.

16. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Brian isn't that funny how we can look back on selling things for those prices?
    I sold my Dumble for 10K....
    Yikes.