Eric Johnson's intro to cliffs of dover

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by dmg34, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dmg34

dmg34 Member

would someone please tab out the intro EJ plays in the intro of cliffs of dover on the Austin City Limits DVD? I have looked everywhere and havn't come up with anything that has the actual intro before the song starts. Thanks for the help guys!

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I don't have the Austin City Limits version, but as it happens I've been working on the album version for the past 2 weeks.

Its mostly E pentatonic minor in a variety of positions. A touch of Mixolydian (I think) thrown in there (there's an F# that shows up periodically). Most of the really fast stuff is descending groups of 5 through pentatonic minor. For me this stuff is almost impossible to play....I'm so used to 3 notes per string. My progress is slow....but I think I've got it to about 60% speed.

There's really cool wide interval arpeggios too...mostly just inversions where the 3rd is an octave below the root. Oh, and the end is of course a rapid fire hybrid picking thigh where Eric plays the G note (15th fret E strring)with his middle finger as a pedal note and picks every other note down through a pentatonic pattern.

From my perspective its a solo that is harder than it sounds....maybe because EJ makes it sound so effortless.

Is the Austin City limits version very different?

Cheers,

Kris

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

The ACL version is very sweet and alot different. No use in trying to replicate it as it was mostly improv IMOP. Get what you can from Eric technique wise and his chordal approach. For odd note grouping things, check out Shawn Lane.....

PS I am not dissing your desire to play the intro to ACL but I think it would be more advantageous to learn where he got all that stuff from as opposed to just copping the licks. Eric's "Total Guitar" video is an excellent source of his techniques as he get fairly in depth about where he gets a lot of his techniques from.

Chris

4. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Maybe it's just me, but does any one else hear some similarities in terms of tone/vibrato between Yngwie and Eric Johnson.

Certainly their styles are very different, but for some reason I keep hearing similarities there...

Maybe I need more sleep.....

Cheers,

K

5. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

The ACL version is pretty different from the recorded studio version, which came 5 years later. The live version is more self indulgent and less structured.

It is worthwhile to learn the studio version, note by note. It is solid gold for chops building as well as theory and technique. Tab is available everywhere for it, but the official version is the best. The Signature series has tab, CD, and pictures of him playing it.

I first tried playing it in the 12th position using my pinky, and then found out he uses his ring finger instead of his pinky...once I got used to it, it got easier.

6. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

What/where is the "official" version? Thanks.

7. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

It's on Ah Via Musicom.

EDIT: Nevermind...I see you're trying to find the difference between the studio and "official" version...I thought that was the official version.

8. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

9. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

Check out the forum at www.ericjohnson.com. There's a guy there named Tom who has tabbed out a few songs from the dvd.

10. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Hal Leonard Signature Licks Eric Johnson Book/CD by Wolf Marshall:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hal-Leonard-Signature-Lick-Eric-Johnson-CD-Package?sku=940421&src=3SOSWXXA

Has pics of him playing it, including interviews. Good stuff. I also have an original 1990 or 91 Guitar School where Eric's on the cover in his marching band uniform, and inside is a great section on Cliffs of Dover, including photos, gear setup, and tab. He's using ring finger instead of pinky on these materials, but hey, it's his song, he can use his pinky whenever he wants. But I barely see him using his pinky in that video. He even tucks it out of the way under the neck.

I've seen many crappy/fake tab versions, which attempt to shortcut the difficulty of this song.

While you're at it, Learn Song for George. Great drop-D acoustic song.

11. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

No, no way.

12. will132

will132 Member

I think it is the Aug 06 mag of Guitar Techniques has that tab and a backing track.

13. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

they certainly have similar tastes in the blouses they wear.

14. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

BTW...that guy Tom made the transcription by slowing down the dvd and looking at Eric's fingering...so you know its pretty accurate.

15. PAF

PAF Member

'cept EJ stopped wearin that **** in the 80s & Wingnut still does ;)

16. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Funny thing is that Yngwie still tries to fit into the same leather pants he wore in the 80s...despite the fact that he's about 10 sized too big for them. I've got the G3 in Denver DVD, and can't watch the Malmsteen part for that reason alone (well that, and after 4 minutes of Yngwie my brain shuts off....)

Cheers,

Kris

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well...

I know that musicians way smarter and way more creative than me would rag on me for working on EJ's stuff (especially Cliffs of Dover), but I find his phrasing quite unique and great stuff to work on chops and licks outside the norm. Although, he's not a weird outside kinda player, his playing is deseptive in mulitple way's.

There are multiple transcriptions of the studio version, I don't remember which one I learned from cause it's been so many years. But I encourage you to find it and learn it. Even if you can't play it at his tempo, besides it's in free time anyway. Play it as slow as you have to, to play it accurately. It's a perfect study of cross string picking, string skipping and licks using 4th and 5th intervals. I find it best to consider most of licks in G major (A dorian) and E minor pentatonic.

Good luck!

18. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

He's currently touring, so why not cough up the $30 for the ticket and see exactly how he does it?

(I say that like a smart alec, as I saw him do it earlier tonight in DC! :RoCkIn )

There are transcriptions out there. Seeing him live allows you to see his positioning and stretching/skipping that may not be notated properly. Good luck in your search....

19. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Outstanding book - highly recommended. Fun way to build chops.