Eric Johnson's new pedalboard, no rats nest no more!

tinkercity

Supporting Member
Damn I just looked it up and there's 1 for sale on reverb for $4000!!! @Blix are you sure it isn't Eric's? Haha.
Yeah, they're incredibly rare. The builder passed away. Those pedals are AFAIK EJ's... the board is just his extra stuff he had to try tones in his studio.

You're right he changed the amps a little, Two Rock replacing the SSS. Pedalboard and racks are the same though, aside from the digital delays subbing for the tape reels.
Can't recall if he was sporting the jubilee version of the TC SCF and the newer, bias mod TD. But conceptually he's clearly back in the goode olde days.
The Dover is fuzzish, or is that fuzzesque?
The DD is like a TD and amp combined. The TD thing does have some fuzzy flavour to it but it's only paying lip service to the entire pedal. The FET-Driver or the Brute Drive are far more fuzzy without being fuzzes.

Personally I don't get the DD, probably from being so used have a crude pedal in front of a pushed amp to deliver the goods. The DD therefore sounds a bit caricature-ish to my ears.

ndparse89

Can't recall if he was sporting the jubilee version of the TC SCF and the newer, bias mod TD. But conceptually he's clearly back in the goode olde days.

The DD is like a TD and amp combined. The TD thing does have some fuzzy flavour to it but it's only paying lip service to the entire pedal. The FET-Driver or the Brute Drive are far more fuzzy without being fuzzes.

Personally I don't get the DD, probably from being so used have a crude pedal in front of a pushed amp to deliver the goods. The DD therefore sounds a bit caricature-ish to my ears.
Between the Dover Drive and the Buffalo TD-X, I don't really get the point of making Tube Driver "clones" that don't have a tube. I feel like real tube response is the whole point of the tube driver.

Between the Dover Drive and the Buffalo TD-X, I don't really get the point of making Tube Driver "clones" that don't have a tube. I feel like real tube response is the whole point of the tube driver.
The Tube Driver gets most of its actual signal clipping from the built in IC chip. Seems totally legit to build a tubeless version of it.

Not only silly but he's using a JBL EON as a monitor for something - I dislike those like you wouldn't believe.
There was one EJ rig where he ran OD's into the amps, mic'ed the amps with SM57's and ran that signal into a mixer and his wet FX, and then used the Eon's as Wet only speakers. That was a long time ago however, I don't thing he's using that rig now.

Marc Roy

The small 3 outlet power strip next to the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, where I could find one of those?

cam0122

Eric Johnson has finally become a Gear Pager...:banana

Is his TS-808 buffer before the Fuzz Face?
I watched a rig rundown video where Eric Johnson describes his signal chain.

Tube Screamer into Fuzz Face.

Echo before Chorus always.

Echo before Overdrive except for dirty rhythm chain where Echo is after Fuzz Face.

Brian Gilmour

Also the MXR Fet Driver which is nearly identical to the TD schematic with FET’s in place of the Tube. It gets the high gain portion but there’s heavy bass and zero clean tones with it. I liked it with my Strat very much if I was using it for that one sound.

The Tube Driver gets most of its actual signal clipping from the built in IC chip. Seems totally legit to build a tubeless version of it.
And Boss got it right with the BD-2. I can’t tell a difference at home. Live on stage, results may vary. Still want Boss to release a BD-3 with high/low controls.

ndparse89

Also the MXR Fet Driver which is nearly identical to the TD schematic with FET’s in place of the Tube. It gets the high gain portion but there’s heavy bass and zero clean tones with it. I liked it with my Strat very much if I was using it for that one sound.

And Boss got it right with the BD-2. I can’t tell a difference at home. Live on stage, results may vary. Still want Boss to release a BD-3 with high/low controls.
I use my TD about 99% clean, one click from breakup, so my usage definitely favors the tube!

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
I watched a rig rundown video where Eric Johnson describes his signal chain.

Tube Screamer into Fuzz Face.

Echo before Chorus always.

Echo before Overdrive except for dirty rhythm chain where Echo is after Fuzz Face.
Is the TS stock\buffered?

ndparse89

Good question. He did not say anything about that in the video.
Historically he has used the buffered version before the fuzz face. Sometimes he's used the true bypass 808HW and sometimes he's had the buffered TS in a true bypass loop so he can take it out if he wants to.

cam0122

Historically he has used the buffered version before the fuzz face. Sometimes he's used the true bypass 808HW and sometimes he's had the buffered TS in a true bypass loop so he can take it out if he wants to.

Thanks for sharing your information.
Where did you find these details?

ndparse89

Thanks for sharing your information.
Where did you find these details?
Mostly from this thread, the man who built the board is a contributor! Also from following ejfans.com, and watching Eric's own rig rundown videos on youtube. The one with Premier Guitar is really good.