Ernie Ball 25k Volume Pedal tone suck (With a buffer)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Now this one is minimal, but hear me out as I'm curious.

Basically, I took my Volume Pedal off my board a while back for a wah for a certain gig I was doing but I haven't properly used it in a while so I thought I'd use the volume again. I stuck it in one of the free loops of my Musicom Lab, after my drives. It was in loop 7, which I believe is one of the buffered loops. Definite high end loss when engaged. So I stuck a buffer before it's input, which I used to do and whilst it's super close, there's a slight drop in high end and what sounds like a volume loss though that might be perception based on a slight treble loss.

Is this something you just have to deal with or is there a way around it? Any volume pedals that don't do this? Is it possible that when I fixed my broken string in my pedal that I affected how far the pot is travelling, i.e. it's not maxing?

Another thing I should add is, with the Volume Pedal in loop 7, it's never just guitar --> Volume pedal --> amp, there's always something before it, whether it's my compressor, OD, or if I am going direct to my amp, I'm using the buffer in my KokoBoost. Any ideas how it's possibly sucking highs in that scenario? Minimal patch cables, all low capacitance Lava, etc.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The Hilton seems to be unity gain, and it's also internally buffered, so it doesn't do this.

It's totally possible to re-string with a slight offset so that it doesn't go to max, as well.

3. thechamp

thechamp Member

the answer is the new Ernie Ball MVP volume pedal.