Ernie Ball Albert Lee guitar

Cal Webway

Are they out of production?

I noticed a month ago and recently MF has 'not available' and Sweetwater hasn't carried them in a while. Don't think it's related to exhausted holiday sales. Quite a few used on Reverb, GC etc.

It's still listed on the EB site tho.

Ugly Bunny

Yeah, I've been waiting for SW to get more in, but they seem to have dried up. They had a lovely walnut HH one that I doddled on and missed. I scored a Diego Blue one, but man, that walnut...

it is a great guitar though. Wouldn't mind a SSS one in tangerine pearl with a rosewood neck. MMmmmm.

EDIT: Wow. Just searched SW's site - no nothin'. you type "albert lee" and you just get harmonicas, basically. Odd.

Cal Webway

I wonder if the new Cutlass with its lower price and ss frets may be cutting in to the s-s-s pup AL's.

Sweat

Gold Supporting Member
The Albert Lee is being made still. Not sure what 2017 will bring for colors and features but 2016 the SSS model was original pink burst only and the HH version had limited colors. All EBMM MM-90 guitars ceased production in 2016.

Love my AL but it is a limited edition with MM-90's so it gets babied:)

Ugly Bunny

The Albert Lee is being made still. Not sure what 2017 will bring for colors and features but 2016 the SSS model was original pink burst only and the HH version had limited colors. All EBMM MM-90 guitars ceased production in 2016.

Love my AL but it is a limited edition with MM-90's so it gets babied:)
YES! That was the other one I wanted. Man. They need to just keep making everything forever!

EDIT: Except amps...

Ugly Bunny

Can you ask him if they're still available?
Yeah - please. And tell him Jase says "hi." He'll know what it means. ;)

Did they ever make amps? Under Ball ownership, that is.
Hmm. Good question. All I know is I had an old Music Man HD130 head that gave me NOTHING but trouble. I think for every hour that I spent playing on it, it spent a week in the shop. Then Sterling was playing his AL through one of their old combos at NAMM last year and it sounded like a dog fart farting into another dog that was sneezing another dog's fart's dog fart. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it was... not great.

Billy Moss

Are they out of production?

I noticed a month ago and recently MF has 'not available' and Sweetwater hasn't carried them in a while. Don't think it's related to exhausted holiday sales. Quite a few used on Reverb, GC etc.

It's still listed on the EB site tho.

They are still part of the lineup and they should continue yo be in 2017.

There are the 2 versions with singles and hums.

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars

AdmiralB

Hmm. Good question. All I know is I had an old Music Man HD130 head that gave me NOTHING but trouble. I think for every hour that I spent playing on it, it spent a week in the shop. Then Sterling was playing his AL through one of their old combos at NAMM last year and it sounded like a dog fart farting into another dog that was sneezing another dog's fart's dog fart. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it was... not great.

The answer, it appears, is "no". Amp production ceased when Ball bought the guitar business.

The early amps (65s and 130s) are generally well-regarded, though it's been a long time since I've played one and even longer since I've worked on any. They are VERY hard on tubes, 700V+ on the plates, although the screens are run at half-voltage. I suspect until recently it was tough to get new-production power tubes that would live for long in them.

Buck Dharma used them for a long time, up until '85 or so. HD-130s for clean and rhythm, Boogie Mark IIBs for leads.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Did they ever make amps? Under Ball ownership, that is.

Yes. Pretty $$. I think (??) made in Italy.

The answer, it appears, is "no". Amp production ceased when Ball bought the guitar business.

Actually EB did put them back into production through the Italian company that makes Markbass and DV Mark amps starting in 2014 or 2015. But they have never imported them to the USA; Sterling Ball was claiming that no one would take on the line here. I don't think there is a direct link to them on the MM website but you can turn this up with a google search:

https://www.music-man.com/amps

And regarding the AL guitars - they could be off the dealer websites like Sweetwater because EBMM is going to switch out colors for 2017.

AdmiralB

Actually EB did put them back into production through the Italian company that makes Markbass and DV Mark amps starting in 2014 or 2015.

Far out! At least the guys with later tube Sunn rigs can get proper knobs now!

Cal Webway

Yea, I remember when the big gtr mags featured the unveiling a few yrs ago. I recall the $$$ and the Italy thing. Thanks for clarification. The DV Amp connection makes sense now

Trending Topics

Top Bottom