• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ernie Ball Cobalt strings?? what do you think about them?

dnaihrabin

I recently switched to Ernie Balls and am contemplating switching to the Cobalt strings.

Can anyone tell me some pros and cons??

Cheers,

Dani

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
They're awful. IME, they sound good, not great, at first. Then seemingly overnight they become dull and lifeless. Soon after, they start to "fall apart." Almost like they'd been abused for months on end, but in a matter of less than 3 days. YMMV, but I was incredibly disappointed.

codetocontra

They have a different texture, sort of slick like Fast Fret was applied but has a gritty feeling too. I thought they sound louder, with more sustain and resonance. I keep my string action as low as possible but with minimal fret buzz, and it felt the Cobalts vibrated more and caused a little more fret buzz. They lasted a while too, still feeling fresh after weeks and a couple gigs. I have used the same gauge (Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, 10-52) of EBs for like 15 years, so I think I have a good feel for what they normally are like. Only tried Cobalts once, on one guitar. But, all my replacement packs are Cobalts so I am about to go all Cobalt for a bit. Maybe I will change all my strings today since I have some new records to listen to. I can report back in a month after use, see if my experiences are the same on multiple guitars.

Bottom line, they are a few dollars more expensive than other "normal" strings. Wouldn't hurt to try them out. I have certainly blown a lot more than $8 on trying something new.

thawn5150

I tried them didn't do anything for me in fact I did find they last too long as other brands I use

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't notice any sort of slick feel like Fast Fret on them. I definitely felt the gritty feel-- kinda scratchy and harsh under the fingers. They seem to stay fresh a little longer than stock EB's, but stock EB's go dead so fast anyway, that's not really a selling point (since they're $10 a pack vs. about $4-5 for regular EB's).

jrcjoseph

I like them. As someone who doesn't change strings often, they work for me. I might try going back to the regular and see if I notice much of a difference.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I love them and will never go back to nickel. I tried nickel again for fun and was extremely annoyed.

Cobalt is more dynamic and responsive, way better on an LP neck pickup, stays in tune incredibly well, better bottom end clarity, and lasts twice as long, for me.

sickboy79

I bought a couple sets to try. Haven't strung them up yet. I hear they are good with darker guitars. We'll see.

dnaihrabin

I'm not down either! they seem to have no low end just a ton of mids! i guess that's what people call clarity...

macki

Awesome - they are on all 4 of my guitars. To me they have a really nice clarity to them and a great punchy tone.

xntrick

I got them for cheap when best buy was clearing them out and I wish I would've bought more of them. They have a pronounced mid-range that sounds killer in a bright guitar with active humbucker. The one downside is that wound strings are somewhat coarse and I've noticed my picks wear a bit quicker.

Empros

My guitar is quite dark, which I love, and these just add a touch more clarity to it. Just a touch. And they feel fantastic, last a long time, I love them!

Solo996

Very mid rangy to my ear. Didn't expect much difference in tone, but I was surprised. Felt okay, not great.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the difference in tension for the same gauge. Much lower tension (running 10-52s). Threw the set up right off.

Solo996

Maybe I got a dud set. I did have a tech say that the cobalt a are lower tension though...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom