Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hchan23, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Hchan23

Hchan23 Member

My local GC just had these in stock today and I believe I'm going to pick up a pack or two. Anyone tried these out yet?

What are some of the differences in tone, output, frequency, etc. you noticed compared to what you're currently using?

2. vanguard

vanguard Member

hmm. . i'm interested to try them, but isn't cobalt super, super hard? will it kill my nickel frets?

3. Hchan23

Hchan23 Member

I'm not sure. There aren't enough reviews out there yet since the product is so new.

4. throbert

throbert Member

I found a package of these at a GC down the road. I'm going to install them tomorrow.

5. throbert

throbert Member

I put some on today and played them for a while and they are as good as advertised. More of everything in comparison to the D'Addario XLs that were on my Tele copy. I don't know if the difference is all that dramatic but it is noticeable in comparison. The feel is quite a bit different also. They do feel silky and smooth but they seem more griitty when on the guitar and you're playing them. The feel is more like pure nickel. Kind of hard to explain. They're definitely worth trying but I'm not sure they're worth the $10.00 price tag. They're not for everyone but I think EB has come up with cool product that will make it in the market. I'll be curious now on how long they will hold their tone. Can't wait to hear other reactions.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

I just put them on my K-line Tele last night. I have not played the guitar through an amp to test the claim that the cobalt strings provide "a stronger magnetic relationship between the pickup and string" and having greater output. I did not find them to be "smoother" as compared to my regular Elixr strings. Looking forward to plugging in...

7. JeKo

JeKo Member

Are these as slippery feeling as the Elixir Nanowebs? That was the reason I didn't like those...

8. throbert

throbert Member

No, not even close. They have a kind of a hard, gritty feel on the guitar that kind of reminds of stainless steel but different.

9. Hchan23

Hchan23 Member

Put them on a few days ago. The first thing I noticed when I played on them is that my fingers glide very well up and down compared to other brands of strings. Sonically, there are minor differences in the frequency output. Theyve met my expections so far.

10. chervokas

chervokas Member

Strange to see that their feel has been described in this thread as both silky and smooth and as gritty to the touch, two attributed I think of as complete opposites.

11. QQQ

QQQ Member

Different strokes...

12. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, yeah, but one poster describe the strings as both silky and smooth and gritty! I don't think I want to play them because I like low output, warm strings -- I'm a pure nickel guy -- but I definitely am curious to feel them now.

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've had a set of Cobalt's on for week now. They have a different feel - hard to describe. Maybe gritty is the word - not sure about "smooth". But, it's not really in a bad way. They are just different. They are bright, and sound BIG.

I'll see how it goes, but, I'll probably go back to my Everly Music B-52's soon. They are made from "Alloy 52", which has a great sound and feel. These have been my fave's since Snarling Dog's Nuclear Nickel 10's (with Alloy 52) stopped being made after Charlie Stringer passed away.

14. QQQ

QQQ Member

Yeah. It is a lot like eye witnesses to a crime having different accounts of what happened. Everyone has a different perception.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

What about a tension difference when bending strings of the same guage?

Just as DR's of the same guage bend easier then EB's,
    who bend easier then D'Addarios ...

16. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

Wondering how these compare to pure stainless steel...

17. throbert

throbert Member

I would have to agree with this. They do feel smooth when you first take them out of the packaging but not that way once you put them on the guitar and play them. I've been a pure nickel guy for years and I still can't decide if I like them or not. They sound great but they are quite different than anything I've ever tried over the years. Definitely better than stainless steel and I've never care for round core strings like the DR Pure Blues. I'm still looking for something now that SOB pure nickels are not available at this time.

18. ToneSter

ToneSter Silver Supporting Member

30 miles s/w to the exact center of California
    the only thing I've noticed is the strings are a little brighter, that can be good if you have a dark sounding guitar or amp..........I don't, they are not faster or smoother and the wound strings seem to be a little on the gritty side.

19. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

Are you comparing these to nickel or what?

20. throbert

throbert Member

I tried them out on a gig this weekend and they sound really good. However, I don't really care for the feel and the tension of them compared to what I'm used to. I don't think they're worth the extra money but they're definitely worth trying once. I still think it's a good product. I'm still searching for strings that I will like on all of my instruments and I don't think that will happen. I'll be curious to hear other opinions. I'm also guessing bass players may like them more than guitarists.