Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal: HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by taylorman22, May 23, 2008.

1. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

This may be a known issue with the pedal or possibly just the way it was designed, but I haven't really seen anything about it. When the pedal is all the way off, heel down, the volume doesn't completely shut off. I still have a low amount of volume coming through. Is this normal for this pedal or is there a way to fix it? Our other EG player at church has the same pedal and the same problem.

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I JUST went down stairs, cranked my rig (much to the wifes chagrin ;)) and hit the Eb jr all the way down and NOTHING...I strummed very hard, and heard nothing but a bit of hiss (I have two amps in stereo so there is a ground loop issue I havent resolved yet)

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

It is a common problem, but I've personally never had it happen to me. I've seen people say it's a problem with the string adjustment though, maybe someone can shed some more light on it.

4. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

It must be a problem with the adjustment. Anyone know if it can be fixed/adjusted?

5. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

Yes, it is not too difficult. Go to the Ernie Ball website and download the PDF instructions for replacing the string/spring. The instructions explain how to adjust the heel-down potentiometer position.

The trick to adjusting the EB pedals is finding a tool to use to grab and pull the spring, which releases the tension on the string wrapping around the cam affixed to the potentiometer. A small crochet hook can be used.

6. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

There's also that switch for the "taper" of the travel. It might have something to do with that too...

8. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I noticed on mine when you use the switch for the taper, in one position no sound when heel down. When the switch is in the other position, heel down there is a little sound.

Jack

9. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

I just bought this thing so I'm not overly familiar with it. Where is the switch for the taper and what is it?

10. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

The switch is difficult to find on the VPJR, it is inside the pedal.

In one position, the switch adds a fixed value resistor in parallel with one side of the potentiometer, changing the taper. I could explain how this works, but I think RG Keen's Secret Life of Pots article explains it better than I could.

The VPJR switch setting should not affect heel down volume, assuming the heel-down pot position is properly adjusted, and assuming you do not have a defective or worn potentiometer.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's inside, behind the "back panel" (the front of the pedal where input/output/Tuner out jacks are). You can just barely see it if you peer in. It's always good to have one of those dentists mirror on a stick thingies...but what it does it change how the potentiometer reacts...

Switch in one position, the "lions share" of volume difference happens at the start (heel) position to about 1/3 travel of the pedal. (I am remembering 1/3, it might be 1/2, or any other fraction..) meaning after that you are almost at full volume and the last 2/3ds travel will only slightly increase volume more.

In the other position, you get little volume change the first 2/3 of travel (meaning more fine tuning on the lower volumes) and most change the last 1/3 to toe-down.

Just note where it is now, check how it works, switch it and see if it changed and if so which way.

12. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I also noticed something strange in the last couple days. I have several pedals with True Bypass and a few that are buffered bypass. Anyhow, I recently swapped a few pedals around for better access, etc. It seemed like the volume would cut out, etc. Turned out I had about 4 pedals in front of the volume pedal that were true bypass. I think that had some strange affect, the volume was cutting out, etc. I swaped a few things around and put a buffered bypass, (Maxon) pedal right in front of the volume pedal and it seems to have cured it. Anyhow, I'll report back if there is still an issue, but I wonder if several true bypass pedals can affect the sound before the volume pedal.

Jack

13. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Interesting. I had a similar problem the other night. My tuner and OD pedals were in front of the amp, and I came out of the FX loop to my DD-20, then to the volume, then back to the FX Loop. Right before we started the service I had to pull it all out and just use my acoustic. I still don't know what was causing the problem.