1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN guitars - mojo factor

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ciroxin, May 16, 2011.

1. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

I am interested in your opinion. Do EBMMs have mojo and why is that?

To me, EBMM is loaded with mojo.

Why? Well, Leo Fender had a lot to do with the foundation of the company, the guitars are of consistent quality and they tend to push things forward. Also, I truly respect any company capable of putting such a quirky but sensible guitar shape such as Albert Lee (I love my HH) or Bongo basses.

I happen to think that Albert Lee is seriously cool. Perhaps that is a deciding factor in making my mind regarding EBMM, perhaps not. Still, I belive that they make some very cool stuff.

What do you think?

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Great, no, phenomenal guitars, just not my cup o tea. My son loves their bass guitars...

3. sears

sears Member

The Stingray bass. Whew.

I love the Axis Sport too.

4. Shnook

Shnook Member

I own an Albert Lee, which I love, and have played a few Axis guitars. Build/material quality is very good. I love the necks as well. Do they have 'mojo?' In my experience, no. My Albert Lee plays great and looks cool but there's nothing at all special about the way it sounds. A guitar with 'mojo' to me is one that sounds fantastic running straight thru an amp with no effects. My Albert Lee just sounds OK by itself and better with pedals to give it some sort of personality. I've always felt the EBMM guitars lack something and I believe that something for me is, 'the mojo.' Perhaps if they didn't smother the guitars to death with 600 coats of Poly? :hide

5. c_mac

c_mac Member

I still haven't played a guitar that sounds better than the MM90 equipped Albert Lee that I had. Talk about seller's remorse. I needed cash at the time and it was the only guitar to fit the value/sentimental ratio.

6. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

They are technically perfect guitars. And a joy to play. But that's not "mojo". "Mojo" is an indefinable quality that makes you fall in love with it. Everything about EBMM is definable.

7. shg

shg Senior Member

Played an Axis once, it was nice but the nut width was too small for me.

8. Mindcrime

Mindcrime Supporting Member

I have ONLY 2 guitars. One is an EBMM Silhouette Special I found in a local pawn shop in April of 2000 and my other is an EBMM John Petrucci JP6 with Piezo option I ordered in Feb 2006. I have owned 5 EBMM guitars. I really love these guitars. They're built well and sound amazing.

Mojo ?? For me...YEP !!

There are several artists who use / indorse EBMM guitars :dude

9. Faded

Faded Member

They look cool, have a crazy good neck, but the sound has always been anemic. cool: yes, mojo: no

10. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I was a one company die hard for 25 years and that company was Fender, if I needed a true humbucker ax I would borrow a Les Paul from one of my friends. Well what Gibson or PRS could not do EBMM has and that is made me a two company man though my last 8 guitars have all been humbucking Balls. My RM/BS Roller had enough mojo to have a whole store crowd around it when it was plugged in asking what it was and passing comments like that is a 1 in a 1,000 guitar, and these were 40 and 50 year old guys. Even I have to say the tone on the Roller blew me out of my shoes and was just as fat and creamy as it gets.

My EBMM/EVH,s also have all the mojo I need as does my AL HH, and 25th. I am not here to get into any high school nonsense but the quality and craftsmanship is on par with anyone. Without even naming the known endorsers that have sigs you keep seeing them in the hands of the biggest players out there more and more each day from Bonamassa who splits his gear between EB and Gibson and Brad Paisley to name a few, two guys I think know something about mojo. The only ax in the line that does not do it for me is there biggest seller the JP because the neck is just to thin for me, but I guess I am in the minority there.

11. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Like some have said already, the build quality is awesome for the price point. I really would be looking at their guitars, but the necks are way too small?! The nut width on most of the models are just too small. Come on! Make a model with a substantial neck width and profile.

I know the JP model has a big nut width, but the profile like like a slice of salami.

12. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

LOVE my JPX, which is the fifth JP model I've owned the past six years or so. I tend to sell them off only to drift back to them, there's just something about EBMM's that I just love. Looking to add an Axis here shortly, and once that Game Changer hardware is added to their stock models, forget about it! Those will be sick guitars.

13. Jaan

Jaan Member

Mojo is restricted to guitars for sale in the Emporium that are beat to s**t......

14. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I have two Music Man guitars - Silhouette Special and the 20th Anniversary Silhouette. Both are incredibly comfortable to play and sound fantastic. The necks may not be to everyone's liking, but I personally think they are the best I have ever played.

As far as 'mojo'.... to me it is like 'karma'. Words that sound cool and mystical, but in reality mean nothing.

15. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

i played a mm axis rosewood top, basswood body with a solid rw neck and honestly it's one of the nicest guitars i've ever played. it belonged to a guy who worked at the guitar store where i played it and he said he'd never sell it. i'm hesitant about buying one online as i'd like to play another one first to make sure it wasn't just this one that i dug so much. but it was truly amazing.

16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i sure do love those AXIS guitars ;)

17. Quarter

Quarter Member

I've one of the rosewood topped rosewood necked Super Sports and absolutely love it.

18. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I gig with a Steve Morse Model (the first generation version). I also owned a Rosewood Axis Super Sport which I recently sold for no other reason than it was a little redundant and not getting much play time. Both are wonderful guitars but I don't know if you can apply the word "mojo" to them. That's fine with me.

19. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I love the Stingray 5 basses. I haven't played one of their guitars that I'd want to own.

20. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

what the hell is 'mojo' ?

Seriously, that is as sophomoric a descriptor as any of the others I've heard in the emporium.

EBMM makes great guitars, they play well, typically have great necks(if a bit narrow) and are built like tanks. They are also a great value in a factory guitar.