Ernie Ball MVP not working as it should?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbickford84, Feb 19, 2015.

1. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

Quick disclaimer: this is my first volume pedal so if this is normal, I apologize for the dumb question.

When I have the MVP rocked all the way back, I can still here the guitar signal coming through. And if I turn the amps volume up high its fairly obvious.

However, if I have my foot actually on the pedal putting some pressure on it, there is no sound. Which is a good thing. But shouldn't I be able to take my foot off, leave it titled back, and not hear any of my signal?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I had an MVP. If you have the two dials on the front of the unit completely off, then you should not hear any sound when the pedal is rocked to your heel. And you should not have to step onto the pedal to get it to quiet down.

My first thought is to email Ernie Ball and ask them. I liked mine, but that string on mine broke within 5 months, and I decided that changing out the strings was not something I wanted to have to keep re-doing.

3. cbickford84

I'll check when I get home, but I'm fairly certain both knobs were fully counter-clockwise.

What did you replace it with? I almost bought a Mission VP, but went the cheaper route; I'm regretting it all ready.

4. jay42

jay42 Member

They're very easy to bump. I check them every time I use it. I've had better luck with the string -- no breakage. I think I bought mine a couple of months after they came out....whenever that was.

5. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

You may need to re-adjust your string/pot. Check out vids on replacing the string to see how to set the string/pot travel.

6. cbickford84

I literally just took it out of the box, though. The thing is brand spankin' new. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time I got a pedal that doesn't work properly, but the pedal should have been set properly.

7. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

The string/pot can slip - may have happened in shipping. It's just a matter of calibrating (which you'll need to learn how to do anyway when the string inevitably breaks and you have to replace it).