Ernie Ball or DR Pure Blues 10' on a Strat..?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dylan61, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Ernie Ball or DR Pure Blues 10' on a Strat..

What is your favorite, tone, smooth bending, feel..etc.:BluesBros

2. c_mac

c_mac Member

I am an avid lover of EBMM guitars. However, I HATE their strings. They gunk up after playing them once. I've had issues with breaking DRs but I definitely like them better than EBs.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

If you want the smoothness of pure nickel, check out the SIT Power Groove Nickels.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

EBs sound a bit brighter and DR a bit warmer to my ears. DRs also feel a bit slinkier (ironic) to me. I use EBs for some applications, but use DRs more, as I usually prefer a warmer tone.

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

slinkier= easier to play?

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

On Strats I am very partial to Dean Farley's Snake Oil Brand strings (Dean = "Pinkstrat" around these parts) over either of the brands mentioned. Warmer, fuller tone. Not as easy to bend, but for me, especially on a Strat, that's a good thing. I like a little resistance.

On Les Pauls I like the EB Super Slinky pure nickel strings. They just seem to be the right sonic match for vintage or vintage-style LPs.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

If I have to choose between those two then I would choose the EB Rock-N-Roll Slinky Pure Nickel every time! I have just been through this. The DR Pure Blues are inconsistently sized in the last batch I bought, they were undersized and NOT mispackaged. The DR's are also much stiffer in comparison to the EB. This was on the same Strat also. The EB Slinky Pure Nickel are very consistent and sounded much more detailed then the DR Pure Blues.
    Best Regards!

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

More like, easier to bend.

9. telewacker

telewacker Member

Obviously a matter of taste, but after using EBs for years I tried DR Tite Fit strings and never looked back. They have more sparkle and twang and are more elastic. They just sound better and play easier.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

DR's have broken every time I have used them,EB's have not(I have used the EB's on and off since 1972).That being said,I recently switched to John Pearse nickle strings-they seem to be a little more consistent than the EB's(less breakage,better tone).

11. telewacker

telewacker Member

I almost never break a string and I play literally hours every day and bend major thirds, vigorously use the trem on my Strat, etc. I break a high E string every couple of months or so. It was no different when I used EBs. Frequent string breakage usually suggests a problem with the saddle.

Bottom line is try different sets and choose the one that sounds and plays best for you.

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

OK-you obviously are a guy who doesn't think my opine is valid.OK.My saddles on the strat are always checked with a glass for burrs.I still think DR strings are not a bang for the buck process.They cost twice as much(PER SET) as the EB's,1/3 again as much as the JP's,and I see them as being prone to breakage,as I own 8 guitars in regular use and care,and have a luthier, who regularly does work for national and international players,on my guitars.He says the 2$/pack Darco strings he uses,on anything electric,he repairs,are better than my JP's.I agree that one should use what sounds and plays best.Getting there took me over 36 years of gigs,recording,concerts,and practice.
    Thanks,
    gfm

13. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I was intending on buying a set of DR Pure Blues for my strat next week. I have them on my Hamer P90 Special and liked them, They are a bit smoother and warmer. If the thread is still going, I'll let you know.

14. Izy

Izy Member

I use DR Tite-fit almost exclusively.

So far, they had not failed me.

I tried D'addarios and EBSS - Not for me.

15. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I use DR's but like the Tite-fit better than the Pure Blues which sounded a bit metalic in comparison.

16. telewacker

telewacker Member

Jeez fella relax. I have as much experience as you and then some since I've been playing for 43 years and making a living exclusively as a musician for 36. So what? I'm just giving my opinion based on my own experience, which obviously differs from yours. If you can't hear someone express a different opinion without getting emotional string breakage is the least of your worries.

17. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

"The DR's are also much stiffer in comparison to the EB"

"but after using EBs for years I tried DR Tite Fit strings and never looked back. They have more sparkle and twang and are more elastic"

Well a lot of contradictionary opinions here..

18. telewacker

telewacker Member

Well the first quote was referenced to DR Pure Blues and the second Tite Fit which are a different alloy, but another poster thought the PBs felt slinkier than EBs.....so there you go.

And the fact that there are "contradictionary" opinions is surprising how? :D

19. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It really is funny though how many of us have contradicting opinions on something as simple and binary as strings. I'll swear to the end that PBs feel slinkier and sound warmer to me than EBs or Ds. Yet another will have the opposite opinion. Interesting? Yes. Surprising? Well, not here on TGP!

20. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Ernie Ball all the way... Most of the dr's cant even intonate properly