1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Ernie Ball Slinky COBALT strings......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Anyone try these yet? Are they worth more than twice the price of the regular EB Slinky strings?

[​IMG]

Hawk3y3 likes this.
  2. Devnor

Devnor Member

I'm waiting for the depleted uranium version.

3. pcovers

pcovers Member

Worth more? You would first need to determine what you wish the regular slinky's were that they are not in order to decide if these fill the void that you decided was missing. "Better" has to mean something specific. If you have no issues with the current Slinky's and how they play, sound, feel.....then what would constitute a "better" version?

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Good question. I think the current EB slinky's are just about perfect for me. I'm just wondering what could make these cobalt strings "better".
    I guess if the cobalt strings had all the attributes of the regular slinky strings but lasted (stayed lively) much longer they might be worth the xtra $$$.

5. rufedges

rufedges Member

I use nothing but the RPS slinkeys.......the reinforced definintely seem to stay in tune much better than the regular slinkys...........would love to try some cobalt....but 10 bucks a pack is too much for what I do.

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I got some. They work as advertised. More output, more clarity.
    I dunno how it works, but they sound different. Haven't decided yet if I LIKE the sound, but that's a different story.

7. ieso

ieso Member

I'm doing a big string roundup of over two dozen strings for my blog and I have a set of these here -- will try soon.

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Cool, let us know what you think.

9. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

:roll

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a set but I'm waiting for the set of D'Addario's on my #1 ax to wear out before changing them. Strings seem to last a long time under my hands. :huh

jon

11. liquidswords

liquidswords Member

Holding out for Slinky Unoptanium.

12. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

We did some testing of these over the weekend. I'm always skeptical about something with big claims, but at the same time strings have always been the weakest link in the chain. I strung-up my Number One with some new regular Slinky 10-46s, then three of us played it for an hour thru a Fuchs and an Ethos-based sytem. I then strung it with a sey of Cobalts, and all three of us came to the same conclusions. They have more bottom and top, not really sure if they're any louder, definitely more magnetic (they really stick to the magnets), bend more easily, and hold their tune better. No snake oil here, I'm sold. A couple of dollars here and there for this sort of improvement is no problem to me, but I'm sure the whiners will have lots to cry about. To put it in terms perhaps more easily understandable, it's like the difference between a two-dollar cheeseball molded patchcord and an Evidence Audio primo cable; THAT sort of difference.
    I was talking to Steve Morse a little while ago and he handed me his Musicman Sig. He plays that guitar about six hours a day on average, and the Cobalts had been on it for a month. Lots of top and harmonics still there. If they sound better and last a lot longer they're good enough for me!

MrLahey likes this.
  13. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

I keep forgetting to pick a set of them up

14. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

EB is having production problems at the moment and can't even come close to filling demand. That's right from the horse's mouth.

15. wilder

wilder Member

There's a set on a LP BFG I just got and I am digging them. I'd have to try a different set on the same guitar to make a comparison.

16. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

I put a set on my Nocaster and I really like em. I have sweaty hands and can go through strings pretty fast, but these are holding up pretty good. They sound a bit brighter, but not in a harsh way, its like everything sounded a little bit more "defined". They feel easier to play too, there was no break-in period when I put them on.

17. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I'll try em when they start making .11 and .12 sets. o_O

18. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

They do - 11's are "Power Slinky" and 12's are "Not even Slinky"

I have some on order and will be curious to try them.

19. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

I put a set of 10s on one of my strats recently. I think they are a tiny bit brighter or clearer and a little louder than the Fender nickel-plated steel I've usually used, even accounting for the newness of the strings. Not a huge difference, but they do sound good, so I'll be trying them on some of my other guitars when the time comes.

20. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

...and coated with dimethyl mercury... :munch