1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Ernie Ball Slinky COBALT strings......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Apr 11, 2012.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Supporting Member

I'm loving the strings on my Strat and Tele. The wound strings have a clarity that I really like and they feel great also. Definitely my favorite strings!

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I finally got around to putting a set on my partstele. They sound good but the wound strings feel very different under my fingers. Coarser, or something. I immediately disliked the feel compared to my usual D'Addarios. I'll try to give it some time but my instinct is to take them off immediately and reinstall the D'As that I've been using forever. Probably just me... :rolleyes:

jon

3. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I bought some 10's for my gigging strat and I think they do well. I been using D'Addario for years, and have been happy with them. I also bought the Cobalts and put em on my Eb tuned strat. The cobalts feel a little different to me, but I haven't heard anything really different than what I knew before. And the tuning was fine, but I haven't had problems with that before either. Maybe my comparison isn't very spot on because I change strings very often on my gigging guitars, and I use locking tuners as well. Or maybe my ear is that bad. I'll put some on one of my guitars that stay home and see how they hold up long term.

4. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

They're worth trying once. Not the biggest difference in the world, but a slightly louder, thicker tone.

5. ChiSoxBoy

ChiSoxBoy Member

I like these but I'll upgrade to the adamantium in a heartbeat. :munch

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I generally use Elixirs which last for a few months for me whereas I usually rot strings in 10-14 days! Am I likely to get more life out of these Cobalt Slinkys? I'm tempted to try them but it would be disappointing if they don't really last for me at £10 a pack!

Anybody who usually uses Elixirs given them a go?

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, I left them on the guitar, now X several weeks, including 2 sessions with the band. They've grown on me. The guitar is definitely more alive, high string bending feels smoother (?easier?, not sure), and my initial dislike of the feel of the wound strings seems to have mellowed - ie, I don't even notice it now. I have them on my partstelepaul w/ a pair of RailHammer HyperVintage pups. So for now, they're keepers. And strangely enough, they tend to stay in tune for far longer than my D'As ever did. I have no idea why :huh

jon

8. SLG

SLG Member

Over time, I wonder if these cobalt strings will accelerate fret wear. Cobalt is harder, and more durable than typical metals used for guitar strings. I would prefer that attribute in my frets rather than my strings. I would rather my strings wear, and have to replace them more frequently, than accelerate the wear in my frets.

9. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I have a pair on a Telecaster and on a Mahog/RW custom HB build right now. Both usually get EB Rock & Roll pure nickel 10s. Both seem quite a bit brighter with cobalts on, as one would expect.

I don't feel any difference in tension. Both are indeed louder now.

I'm not terribly fond of the way they sound on the Tele right now, but that may be a product of being new. A bit strident, but this is a very "alive" blackguard copy. I'll reserve final judgement until they are played in. I have a feeling they might mellow out some.

The Custom is right where it wants to be. More detail in the wound strings - especially the low E. Seems very nice. That "woody" peak at about 400hz (The "Kossoff" peak) doesn't seem to be affected either way - that is a good thing, in my book. These definitely have potential here...

More to follow...

-db

10. jms6668

jms6668 Member

I put a set of these on, and they are different for sure. I strung up one of my Les Pauls with the .011 set and they played great. They sounded lively and still felt slinky so it was fun to play them.

Kudos to Ernie Ball with coming up with something fresh and different. Waaaay to early to tell if I'll be switching to them 100% but I'll give them props.

11. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Well, these will make your fingers turn blue instead of black so if you play the blues.... They don't call it cobalt blue for nothing, you know.

If they're brighter that just means they'll last longer, and I can turn the tone knob down more in the beginning. But I've got so many sets of strings to go through -- probably will be two to three years before I try a set.

12. EthanB

EthanB Member

I just put them on my main guitar, and I love them. They sound amazing. Clean, clear, bright, chimey. Well worth the $9 I paid for them.

13. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I put the bass Cobalts on my Stingray and it came alive, and it was already an alive bass. You can almost breathe on it and make it play now. They're very big and dynamic sounding. Louder as well. I had to change some of my amp settings.

14. butnut

butnut Member

Had a set in my case, waiting for the right time to try 'em...I bought a lot of regular Slinkys. I broke a string at my gig the other night, I figured with a 15 minute break, I'll try the Cobalts. Man, I though my tone was good that night (using my Orange) but WOW, it was like I did a pickup swap or something. It was that dramatic. The notes were much more articulate, it was a big difference to me as I never touched my amp settings...just swapped the strings. Felt different, I noticed a bit more tension on the unwound E, almost like I went a gauge up (I use 10s) but overall, I love the better string tones I'm getting....the cleans and crunch seem a lot more lively, even louder, in a good way... dig it.

15. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I've got some I have'nt tried yet but is the Cobalt only used on the wound strings? Are the unwound the same as the regular EB strings?

16. NewbyRock023

NewbyRock023 Member

I haven't gone back to any other string

17. rjsc5

rjsc5 Member

I am a little afraid of additional fret wear, if I went to them permanently.

18. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

Been a elixir polyweb user, but ever since I tried cobalts I am thinking about a permanent switch. They produce Louder, clearer, more articulate notes to my ears

19. jms6668

jms6668 Member

I still really dig mine.

But I have to hit the road overseas for 5 weeks worth of gigs and the thought of buying 10-20 sets is really tough, I use to bulk up with 10 packs of D'Add XL115's for 39.99 from GC, MF or Sam Ash.

I am still trying to figure out if I like them THAT much.

20. tommyd

tommyd Member

I tried them, sounded louder but went out of tune much more easily not stable for like 3 weeks, like the regular EB's better