1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Ernie Ball Slinky COBALT strings......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

im converted. im indifferent about the increased volume, primarily i am a big fan of the feel of them.

i find they last longer and stay in tune better too.

i might even go up a string gauge i find them so much easier to bend and interface with in general.

2. telejammer

telejammer Member

I bought a set a while back and put them on my ES339, I played it for about 15 minutes and couldn't wait to get them off that guitar. I went right back to EB Slinky's . The Cobalts were louder but didn't have the feel I've been used to. They may be great strings just not for me.

3. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I threw a set on my PRS SC245 and it was a great choice for that guitar. They are articulate, punchy and have stayed in tune really well.

We'll see how long they last without changing how they feel or sound.

4. Corbpolfuss

Corbpolfuss Member

Tried em, just didn't like em. I'll stick to super slinkys thank you kindly.

5. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

Not just you. The wound strings feel weird, exactly what you're describing. Almost gritty. I couldn't remove them fast enough.

6. tooter007

tooter007 Member

Takes some getting used to, but they are cool. Different sound and feel, but nice.

They brighten up a dark sounding guitar. I LOVE them on the Axis, takes the blanket off so to speak.

Cool idea, very popular so far. Different strokes.....

MrLahey likes this.
  7. drkam6

drkam6 Member

Got curious on the Cobalts and put them on my guitar. Although they sound great, got worried about the fret wear, so I removed them and installed Regular Slinkys instead. It is said that the upper strings are the same stainless steel on both Cobalts and Regular Slinkys. So I grabbed a magnifying glass and a good light source, and checked the high E strings (1010 on Regular, 1110 on Cobalt). While the steel looks the same on both strings (with blueish/reddish tints), the wrap of the string at the ball end is better done on the Cobalt than on the Regular (the Regular's is messier). Not sure if this would make the upper strings of the Cobalt set to be a bit more reinforced, but it's nevertheless an interesting detail. Apparently Ernie Ball does not sell the upper strings of the Cobalt set separately.

Gig Young likes this.
  8. sunking101

sunking101 Member

[​IMG]

I got given a pack of these with a guitar I bought 12 months ago but I'm too worried about fret wear to use them.

9. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Member

They felt weird....kinda waxy.
    Back to regular Super Slinkys

10. y2d

y2d Member

I used them in 10s for a while but switched to the RPS that I prefer. I liked the tone but there is something about them that makes it a bit harder to bend / vibrato, at least for me.

11. dachuckster

dachuckster Supporting Member

I prefer stainless steels more than these. :)

12. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Silver Supporting Member

Yeah...what he said!

Tony

13. Eireguitar

Eireguitar Member

I put these on my SG a while back. Thought they were excellent, felt nice, sounded great and lasted four months. I didn't get another set once they were done because I had then read about this fret wear stuff, despite my frets being fine. And i play pretty hard.

I'd love to know anyone has done any scientific type tests to prove the fret wear theory. I can't see Ernie Ball continuing to sell these if it were true. I've a feeling it's another one of those "he said/she said" things that just echos in forums without much substance.

14. Gig Young

Gig Young ¡Vote Twice On Nov. 4! Gold Supporting Member

15. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

they last longer , Think elixir