Ernie Ball Super Slinky or D'Addario ???

Nigel Davenport

Silver Supporting Member
Was a D’Addario guy for the last 15 years until about a year ago on whim tried some Slinky’s. I like the Slinky’s better. They seem to be brighter and last a bit longer than D’Addarios. For whatever reason my sweat/ph/oil whatever seems to wear through D’Addarios more.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Acoustics I'm finicky about the right string, but electrics as long as the gauge is there I really don't mind. I always seem to drift back to EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottom but if I can't get EBs D'Addarios are fine. My slight OCD on guitar things makes me a bit uncomfortable about coloured balls on Bigsbys but I can cope!

I've tried some of the new fancy D'Addarios, the NYXL and XT strings and I do quite like how they sound when they're fresh on, but when I've gone back to EBs on the same guitar (I always seem to have EBs hanging round) I'm not disappointed with them, they do the job fine.

wetordry

They don't sound the same and they don't feel the same.
I switched almost by accident after 30 or so years, and it was obvious.
Whichever you like would obviously be a personal preference, I like EB.

Jaguar

I love the Ernie Ball Cobalts and if I can't get those I use GHS Boomers (cheaper and great as well).

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
I quit D'Addario's for the most part about 30 years ago. Way too much breakage and the tension always felt higher than other brands. If I'm in a bad spot and they are the only things available, sure, I'll put them on but change them at the first opportunity. I tried the NYXL everyone was talking about and while the tone was slightly better, that stiffness was still there and the tone didn't last at all. Definitely not worth the money to me. I'll stick to my tried and true GHS, EB's or Dunlops. All cheaper and work, feel and sound just fine. And they just don't break and I use 8 - 40 on all my electrics.

Last edited:

middy

D’addarios by a mile.
You can get Slinkys at any old pawn shop, that’s why most people use them...

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve used D’Addarios for 20+ years. Just recently, I decided to try a pack of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky’s. To my surprise, I like them more. They seem a little brighter and they last longer for me than I expected. Making the full time switch now!

poppunk

They're both fine. I might be pickier about how a neck feels when I'm playing it (combination of scale/nut width/string spacing/thickness/shape), but I've never felt like there was enough difference in decent strings (cheap ones do suck) or fret wire to care too much.

I was playing the D'Addarios, but have had more luck getting the EBs for about $3.50/pack vs $4.50/pack on the D's when buying each in bulk (10-12 at a time). Getting them cheap and in bulk means I won't delay replacing them when it makes sense (usually from the frets indenting them, which causes excess fret buzz).

I have the same philosophy on strings as I do on picks: get the thing that works well and get a lot of it and just use and move on. I'll burn through a pick in 1-2 hours of hard playing, the tip gets rounded out, and it reduces my ability to play. Same things with strings; when they get worn in enough that they're causing other problems. then I just take a few minutes and change them out (thanks, locking tuners).

I used to not actually have money or be so cheap I'd try to stretch those things out, but I do okay on money now and am not trying to optimize stuff. I'm just trying to play.

ranchofm

If I'm gigging regularly, my alien sweat destroys strings really quickly. Ernie Balls put up the most valiant resistance.

Aahzz

I've stopped trying other brands - D'Addarios just flat out sound better to my ears than anything else I've tried. Just the regular XLs, 10-46. It's been a couple years since I've tried EB, but I couldn't get them off fast enough, I need my D'Addarios.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
I love the feel of the XLNY's under my fingers. I also feel that I get a little more time out of them...

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I used Slinkys and D'Addario interchangeably back in the '70s early '80s. At some point I settled on D'Addario. I'm not really sure why.

jaguarillo68

I use eb green pack or ghs nickle wrap. Eric Johnson used to use the ghs. My teacher used ghs so that's what I started on.

RhytmEarl

I've heard that there's only a small number of factories that make strings and the only difference between most strings is the packaging.

Does anyone know the real truth to this internet "fact"? IOW, could slinkies and D'Addario just be different only in the packaging?

Funky Chicken

Silver Supporting Member
I used EB for a long time and switched to D'Addario when I wanted to try a 9.5 gauge set (EB wasn't offering those until recently).
I put 9.5s on the majority of my guitars now, and EB now offers the 9.5-44 set as the "Primo Slinky". I'll try them next time I need to buy strings. Not a fan of coated strings on electrics.

Trending Topics