Ernie Ball v D`Addario 10 Gauges .......you Guys were absolutely right !!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I posted here a short while back expressing concerns over the quality of Ernie Ball 10 gauge strings which I have bought for years, lately I have found they just do not last and in no time sound absolutely undynamic and have no chime or snap in the lower strings at all depite me washing my hands before I play and rubbing the strings down with a jeyecloth with lemon oil and wd40 afterwards.. A guitar tech told me their quality standard had slipped and I should try D`Addario which he said were a lot more consistent from packet to packet......you guys agred with this .

I went to the shop and bought a set of D`Adario 10 gauge . I still wash my hands before and rub the strings down afterwards but Im working on "Cult of Personality " by Living Color and when I bend the lowest notes there is a snap and chime that the EB strings were totally devoid of. To my ears there are awesome dynamics and endless sustain and my R9 is sounding just as an R9 should.

Im converted and will be sticking with the D`Adario`s , strings this good just make gtr playing a load of fun all over again .

Jimmy

2. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

:AOK

I use the same brand and gauge.I've used em for years, I'll never use anything else.

3. m4tt

m4tt Member

is Ernie Ball having quality issues with the other guages as well? (I use the .11's)

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm still preferring Ernie Ball over D'Addario, for me they last a lot longer than the D'Addarios which I have been using for the last 3 years!

5. Jon

Jon Member

I'm using Ernie Ball 10s, gigging fairly regularly and I can't say I've noticed any change at all over the last year or so.

Still I'd better change to d'Addario quickly in case this thread takes off:cool:

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I never liked Ernie Ball, I ran one set about 14 years ago and it was a pile of garbage. I've run D'Addarios ever since then and am very happy with my 11-49s. I ran 9-42s for years until I got more into tone etc etc, went to 10s and was happy but wanted the thicker tone and stepped up to 11s. I haven't looked back since. And I love those bulk sets that D'Addario came out with (which reminds me I need to buy another box here soon).

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

Long time Ernie Ball 10's user here. Never really had any complaints about their strings. I swap them out about every 3-4 weeks.

I was following the other thread and decided to give the D'Addario 10's a try this weekend. I put a set on a G&L Legacy and a PRS CU24.

There is quite a bit of noticeable difference right off the bat between a new set of EB's and D's. Right out of the pack the D's seem more lively and punchy, with greater clarity between strings when hitting chords.

Right from new, the EB's always seemed to feel like they had been broken in for a week. Maybe they are designed to be more consistent over time though? I know that I don't have to change my EB's after a few weeks, it's just a habit.

I'm going to see how using D's will work out over the next few months on these two guitars.

8. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

LOL :roll

9. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Actually, I was a loyal EB user the first few years I was playing. Back in high school, a friend suggested I give D a try...never looked back. That being said, I use Elixir Nanowebs most of the time now, with D as back-ups. Just b/c I'm so corrosive when I sweat and HATE changing strings.

10. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

I've been using D'Addarios since day one. I don't think I've ever had a dead set or string for that matter. They are very well made and consistent!

11. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I used to use EBs but have since switched to D'Addarios. I think D'Addarios are better now than 10 years ago, but maybe that's just me. I never really liked them much until a few years ago when I tried a set out --- now I use them pretty much exclusively. I've tried DRs, GHS, etc and like the much cheaper D'Addario 10 sets more (11s for a strat tuned to Eb). EBs in my experience seem to wear out extremely fast (especially in humid weather).

12. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Long time Slinky man. THere's other things i like more, but I don't hear enough of a difference to warrant changing. I played the SOS for a bit, and they were great too. But like I said, the EBall's have been my stand by for years. Every few years I try another brand of 4 and see if I've changed. Nope.

Slinky man.

13. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Uh-oh... something's wrong here... I agree with Big Mike on something. I just wish they made double ball end strings so I could use 'em on my Kleins.

14. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I didn't realize we disagree THAT much!:roll

15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I tried Ernie Balls for the first time in about 7 years a couple months ago...they got really dull fast and the wrapped strings unwound themselves after a couple weeks! I've never seen that happen before...

I just got a set of GHS Zakk Wylde 10-60's on my guitar...the bass strings are a bit big and the treble strings are just a bit small. D'Addario has NOTHING close to that without buying two sets of strings and mixing them.

I'm still waiting for a "detuned" set that actually gets it right. Most are 50 or 52 on the low end. When you're tuning to dropped C or open C, you've gotta have something like a 56 down there.

My ideal set would be 10.5-13.5-17-34-48-56...I'll see if I can't order some D'Addario singles, as they do offer them.

16. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I've never liked ernie balls either. dadarrio 11s are great strings. but for my needs I find I now prefer to use DR/SOB 11s. I'm able to go up a hair on my low E string now (.049 --> .050) and I find the pure nickel strings work better for me. of course I'd have no problem using daddarios if I had to.

17. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member