Ernie Ball vol peds - users please look inside

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by laadeeda, May 23, 2006.

1. laadeeda

laadeeda Member

I am trying to figure out if I should re-pot my older style eb vol (it goes straight from the input-to pot back out to the out jack) or should i just buy a newer one with the circuit board and tuner out? I want to know if the newer ones are even worse tone suckers than mine is. Also, I a thinking of going for a 500k pedal as opposed to a 250k pedal, but more than likely I will be running a buffered signal of about 150 ohms to and from the pedal.
    Any thoughts?

2. msp

msp Member

no offense but if i were you i would drop the ernie ball all together (it sounds to me like you have found its limits and are ultimately unsatisfied with it)

i would look into a goodrich ldr2 (or maybe a hilton volume pedal though i would place more trust in the goodrich as i have spoken with some of the goodrich guys over the phone several times and they stand behind their pedals and are willing to resolve what ever issues you may have)

optical based volume pedals simply out perform pot based ones by all acounts IMHO

3. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

If you're always going to be running a buffed signal through the pedal, use one of the pedals having a low-impedance (25K?) pot.

4. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I have zero tone sucking issues with the old-style EB. Their rewiring service is excellent in every way. I would avoid the new (PCB) ones like the plague. Major tone suckage in my experience, and the build quality (and design) is not really in the same league.

- DB

5. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Who's a good dealer that sells Goodrich?
    Apparently Goodrich doesn't have a web
    site to look for dealers.

6. msp

msp Member

i got mine for about 250$ from a gentleman named tom Bradshaw

he was the editor for steel guitar magazin in the 70's and 80's

he helps run a website called songwriter.com

he was excelent to deal with (he is a dealer for several name brands that are afiliated with steel guitars including goodrich)

his number is 925-798-9936 i don't think he has his store website up anymore but as far as i know he still has a small shop and he cut me a great deal on the ldr2 with no shipping carges

here are the results of a quick google search:
    http://www.allsteelguitar.com/Web pages/Inventory/Accessories/Volume Pedals/vol_pedals_main.htm
    http://www.steelguitar.com/accessor/accedesc.htm
    http://www.steelguitar.net/volume.html

good luck

7. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

I also have the older EB vol pedal. I recently saw A. Holdsworth and M. Landau both using Boss vol pedals. I was told they were vol pedals for keyboards? I'm not sure if my vol pedal sucks my tone or not? Dah!! I thing I'm gassing for a new vol pedal.

8. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

The Goodrich LDR-2 is transparaent. Back off the volume and the highs are still there.

9. laadeeda

laadeeda Member

Thanks for the replies, but I have had nothing but bad luck using active pedals (opto). They seem to change the sound a bit, and they add a little bit of noise floor to the signal, even when down all the way. You really notice this kind of stuff when you run everything before the preamp/ampa and get all of your gain and dirt sounds out of the amp/preamp. I tried a GD020 george dennis and some time ago a Goodrich and they both had issues.