Ernie Ball volume pedal Junior. 25k vs 250k

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SKYHIGH, Feb 27, 2012.

1. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Hi,

I'm looking at a EB volume pedal jr. It looks like they have few different option from active, passive and 25k and 250k and so on.

All I do is volume swell and stuff with church music. Which do I get? I play a strat and tele.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    dotpc likes this.
  2. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

250k. The 25k is for active instruments. Strats and Teles are passive.

dotpc likes this.
  3. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Also, don't use the tuner out. Tone suckage will result :wave

4. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Depends on where you put it in the signal chain.

If you use it in the loop, you want the 25K.

Matt

5. JoeE

JoeE Member

You definitely want passive. After a buffered pedal you can use the 25K but the 250K will be fine in front or behind a buffered pedal so probably get that one.

I only ever use my volume pedal for volume swells and was thinking I would really like a volume pedal with a delay built into it for this purpose...... anyone heard of anything like this?

6. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

25k after the buffer sounds awesome

7. JRBain

JRBain Member

I bought mine a few years ago, and wish I'd known that the 'active' one doesn't literally mean only guitars with EMG pickups. Anyway, the taper on my 250k post-buffer is horrible, whereas it's quite nice first in line where I never use it. Thusly, I'm really hoping that the 25k will be an improvement, whenever I get around to buying one. I might go the Thru-Tone route though...

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

25k is what you want.

the 250k sucks tone in front of a buffer and has a lousy sweep after.

use the low-impedance 25k version after a good strong buffer for useful volume effects. try it after any overdrive (so in the loop of a master volume amp) to serve as a foot-controlled master volume.

if the taper is still too abrupt, add a resistor across the two hot lugs of the pot to flatten the sweep; 10k works for me.

(if you wanna clean up overdrive from the front of the signal chain, that's what the volume pot on your guitar is for.)

9. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

So I'm still not clear. I don't have a buffer. Here what I have on my board. 25 or 250k ???
    Thanks!

Strat -> Turbo tuner-> OCD-> Timmy-> EP boost-> Diamond compressor -> Delay-> Morgan dual 20

10. Pumpaction

Pumpaction Member

It depends on where you want to put the pedal in your chain.
    If you want to do volume swells and want a volume pedal in front of all other pedals and your guitar doesn't have active electronics go with the 250k.
    If you want to use your volume pedal as a master volume in the effects loop of your amp go with the 25k.

11. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

So since my amp does not have effect loop, I should go with 250k?

12. Pumpaction

Pumpaction Member

That's what I would do in your case.

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

I bought a 25K recently, but I don't like the sound of it. It seems to roll off high end, and the low end turns farty. I keep reaching for my tone knob on my Tele, wanting more high end.

Maybe I should try it after my Lehle Sunday Driver (Buffer/Booster).

I went back to a 250K, and couldn't be happier.

14. chops612

chops612 Member

If you run it first it's gonna lop a HUGE amount of upper frequencies off. The 25k is made to run after a low impedance signal. That means buffer, an alway-on pedal, pedal that is buffered bypass (boss), or active pickups (which output low z). Doing this way will retain a smoother taper and preserve more highs as you roll back the VP keeping your sound more consistent.

15. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Ordered me 250k jr today. It says it's mono. EBMM person said 25k jr is stereo. Whatever that means...

16. JoeE

JoeE Member

Just to make sure it's clear...
    With your current setup (no buffer) you should get the 250K and put it before your dirt where it recieves a high impedance signal. If you place the 250K after dirt, the taper of the VP will be affected when a dirt pedal is engaged as the VP will be recieving a low impedance signal.

That said, I like having a buffer first in the chain to retain highs, so my actual reccomendation is get a buffer and a 25K pedal... but lets get into the buffer discussion!

17. Kluch

Kluch Member

Ok, so to clarify, sorry I'm a little late in the game... If I have my setup like this buffer->overdrive pedals-> volume pedal -> more pedals
    Then I should get the 25K? Thanks

18. KrazyKarl

KrazyKarl Member

I would say 25k. I run a buffer directly before mine and it gets rid of tone loss problems and keeps a nice sweep.

19. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Me too!:cool:

20. Kluch

Kluch Member

Wouldn't it then be more advantageous (in the case that I still need to buy a buffer... which I do :bonk ) ... that I just get T1M to mod a 25k ernie ball vp jr. and add a buffer to the pedal itself? or would it be more advantageous to put the buffer in front of all the pedals... guess I'm trying to decide is it better for the buffer to go in front of everything, or just the volume pedal
    ...btw I use my volume pedal for volume swells only.