Ernie ball vs Goodrich. Best pedal sweep?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tonecap, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

I'm wanting to get a good volume pedal. I love the design and construction of the ernie balls and they're all I've played. Is the feel of a goodrich that much better to warrant the extra money? I want to say they have a fulcrum pivot point that is further back? I also know they were designed for pedal steel players, sitting down. Well, for a guitarist standing up what is the consensus? Anyone gone thru this decision between these two?

2. Campbelltoe

Campbelltoe Supporting Member

Hilton owns the Ernie ball to no end. It's completely worth it. The Ernie ball feels like you're trying to pull a body out of a grave in comparison. I also have 3 friends with Goodrich VPs that all have scratchy pots (they don't like them)

3. chops612

chops612 Member

I fully disagree. Hilton's, Goodrich's, and the like are designed with sitting steel players in mind. The physical travel is short and shallow and I personally find them uncomfortable and not nearly as controllable while standing. I like them all, but I think for a guitarist who really utilizes volume pedals, you don't get a better physical feel than the EBs.

4. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

Well, not to talk myself into anything here but there's got to be a reason why David Gilmour among others use Ernie Ball. I'm guessing he had Pete cornish modify his, but still, he grabs for the Ernie ball design.

5. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Hilton is the best I've ever tried, and that's why I bought it. Travel is just fine for a standing guitarist, no problem at all. Buffer improves the tone of my guitars. Highest recommendation.

6. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

Yeah I'm wondering what the sweep is like on the goodrich in particular...I would be gutted to take the plunge and find out I shouldn't have sold my eb...the goodrich's seem to be on many people's boards so they can't be that uncomfortable right?

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the sweep behavior of the EB is all about where you run it in the signal chain, and which one you use.

for me, it has to be the low impedance 25k version, run after a buffer. in front of the buffers volume pedals are a tone suck, and anyway i already have a volume knob on my guitars for that task.

the trick for me was to mod the pedal with a resistor across the two hot lugs of the pot to flatten its sweep, so it wouldn't drop off so fast from "full-up". a 10k works well for me, anything smaller and the swells up from "off" become too abrupt.

(i also modded it with a minimum volume knob, but that's a different discussion.)