Ernie vs. ?Lady

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Feb 18, 2009.

1. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

These pedals seem extraordinarily similar in their design, and the descriptions are nearly identical. How do these two compare?

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

They are identical (at least in theory) except that the Ernie uses aggressive 2N5088 transistors as also used in the Zero, and the ? Lady uses creamy, "brown" sounding transistors as used in the Mayo.

The difference is the ? Lady is more pillowy sounding, a bit of an earlier vintage. The Ernie can still do that sweet, singing cello sound. It can also riff like Master of Reality-era Black Sabbath, though. It has a stronger, more aggressive fundamental voice, where the ? Lady has a softer, fuzzier, warmer, grittier voice.

3. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

You heard it from the man himself.

The ? Lady sounds like what the perfect fuzz to me would be- a grittier, fuzzier, vintage sounding Muff.

4. justonwo

Who has both? Anyone care to comment on which is their favorite?

5. Jumbo Fuzz

Jumbo Fuzz Member

A bit OT from your question as I don't have both , but I just want to note that the Ernie can sound flat out mean. It can riff like a monster. When I first got it a couple of weeks ago from Skreddy, I initially thought I got a Zero accidentally boxed as an Ernie..lol.

6. justonwo

Are the Ernie and ?Lady supposed to be Ram's Head clones or just loosely based on that vintage pedal?

7. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

I didn't slavishly follow the ram's head schematic, because frankly I've never found one that really sounds all that great (well--not true...one did, but to get a great sound out of it you'd have to turn up the sustain, which would then create an ocean of noise). I developed the sound for the ? Lady and Ernie by just aiming for a fat, endlessly-sustaining, harmonic lead tone and used whatever parts would get me there.