• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Errrggggg- It's Not "Mint" If It Shows Wear. Grrrrrr

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
So I've been looking for a few specific items on Reverb, the Emporium, etc lately. Nothing crazy, just some old Boss, Maxon, 70's/early 80's Ibanez pedals as well as a few odds and sods.

It seriously irksome to see something not only listed as Mint but the Seller describe it as "Mint, except for the few dings and scratches on it...."

Seriously?!?!?

Actual copy from one ad:

"As you can see, except for some light wear, it's in near mint condition, and sounds AMAZING."

For the record, the light wear is numerous paint chips and a torn label on the back of the pedal.

Yes I know this has been discussed to death. But it's my turn to rant, I guess....

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
I like the "it's brand new" - I just had it shipped to me from Alaska, tried it for a few hours. The foot switch is included, it's just under the Italian grinder in the pic....

stratotastic

You can't believe any of the ******** people peddle over the internet. Any honesty and integrity that used exist has been eroded away. Just get as much history and as many pics of the item as you can, and use PayPal (not gift). Or just stick to items you can see and touch for yourself before purchasing. It's too bad because it used to be different. Not sure what happened, but it seems people have either become less honest, or a new group of people has infiltrated the online gear world. I used to call it "hyperbole creep" (people starting to call things mint or new when they aren't) but it seems to have become the norm now.

T Dizz

Have you ever looked at a mint?? like reeeealy close at a mint.
They are covered with scratches!:bitch

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Part of it might be because of the categories Reverb offers sellers to choose from when you create a listing. They allow to choose from Brand New, Mint, Excellent, etc. That has always been a little confusing at times as a seller, because to me, brand new and mint are essentially the same condition-wise, the only difference being that brand new means that you're a dealer selling a new, warranted item (and, technically, a brand new item might not be "mint", depending on how it was handled by the retailer). I'm not sure if they dictate that anywhere, though. They don't offer a "near mint" category - just excellent. And I think that many people think of excellent as being less than near mint.

In the end, it can be a judgement call. I will usually pick "excellent" for things I sell on Reverb, and if I actually think it's near mint, I'll say it in the description. I think a lot of sellers see those descriptions, and are equating "brand new" with perfect, mint with, "not quite perfect", and so on...

Last edited:

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
It's like when an ad says that a classic car has been "restored" and yet all of the modifications and overall poor workmanship shows anything but being restored.

People...

Mystix

Gold Supporting Member
If I buy new - I might be concerned - if it has defects.

If I buy used- it is used-period.

AXEnGEAR4J

"Mint"
"Like New"
"As New"
"Hardly Used"
"Never Used"
"Perfect Condition"

It's ALL used..
Everyone has their own "interpretation" of description....
Not everyone has the same or as accurate, as well as the truth!
Caveat Emptor!

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I love "New Other" on eBay too. "Used for three months, never left my cat-free, smoke-free, girlfriend-free home". OK, so in other words, USED!

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
You can't believe any of the ******** people peddle over the internet. Any honesty and integrity that used exist has been eroded away. Just get as much history and as many pics of the item as you can, and use PayPal (not gift). Or just stick to items you can see and touch for yourself before purchasing. It's too bad because it used to be different. Not sure what happened, but it seems people have either become less honest, or a new group of people has infiltrated the online gear world. I used to call it "hyperbole creep" (people starting to call things mint or new when they aren't) but it seems to have become the norm now.
I disagree. Although there are those who are unscrupulous or at the very least delusional, reputable sellers bank on exactly that- their reputation. I have great feedback on Reverb because I sell honestly and transparently. I count on good feedback so that my reputation is a reassurance to potential buyers that I'm OK to deal with.

McQ7

It's also annoying because Reverb.com provides a guide! Extremely helpful for me the other day. Since my pedal has velcro applied, I wouldn't consider it "mint." I understand wanting to get buyers' attention, but I think it's risky for sellers to set up expectations that can't be met.

https://reverb.com/news/gear-conditions-and-what-they-mean

"Mint
For something to truly be mint, it needs to be just shy of Brand New. Mint items should include the original packaging in most cases. If there's any sort of imperfection, the item should be listed in Excellent condition at best.

Excellent
When something's been used a bit but is still close to new, you can file it under Excellent. For newer gear, Excellent items should be free from blemishes and other visual defects. For vintage items, there maybe some marks here and there, but the item is still in the top echelon when compared to similar examples."

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
Excellent except for the non-excellent things.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom