ES-175 Strap Button Placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Kappy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've been waiting all day for this 175 I bought to arrive. It came and was very clean as described, but much to my chagrin the strap button had been professionally installed in this position:

[​IMG]

I don't know if it's clear from the picture, but anything played in the 12th position or higher places this big button squarely in the palm of my left hand.

Is this a common placement for the strap button? I've only ever seen them more centered on/near the neck joint. I can sort of see the logic of placing it there from a hold-the-guitar-more-securely-with-the-strap point of view. But from a I-like-playing-notes-in-the-12th-position-or-higher-without-a-big-knob-under-my-hand perspective I hate this placement of the button.

Maybe it's something I can get used to and will learn to just live with, but I just don't like the idea of something other than the neck or the body being under my hand when I play.

Now I have the dilemma of choosing to have the button moved or removed, thus leaving a gaping hole in the neck (or even a touched up one), or just selling the guitar and hoping to get what I paid for it and getting something without this blight for playability.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

It's a fairly standard strap button location for acoustic guitars.

On a cutaway, though, it represents a problem.

Mine is also located on the heel, but smack in the center, and it doesn't impede my access to the cutaway.

Som guys fill the "old" hole with a mother of pearl dot, which is what I have on my '51 Epi...

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm glad to know I wasn't out of my mind with feeling this thing was in the wrong place. I do notice that if I have the strap on and am standing up, it's not much of a problem at all, or at least it doesn't bother me as much as it does when the strap is off and I'm playing sitting down.

I'll have to figure out what to do about it. I figure if I sell it quickly I can recoup what I paid for it. If I fix the problem, I'll lose some of the resale value and it'll be worth my while to keep it rather than sell it. This thing's bad enough to make me consider flipping the axe.

I guess that's one of the pitfalls of buying online. And I blame myself for not knowing to look for it. Though the guy didn't show this in the ebay auction, he did send me some other pictures that revealed this in a subtle way, but I didn't even notice it being out of place. I wonder if he was hiding it intentionally. He didn't seem to make much of it when I told him how much it bugged me. Anyway, chalk it up to learning how to buy a guitar online.

I appreciate the replies.

Dave

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Dave,

Would you happen to have any pictures of how this looks?

Thanks,

Dave

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'll try and take some later today.

6. kawa

kawa Member

I chose the LP style position for standing playability.

Very easy,just use the screwderiver.

(Don't use the drill)

7. NoahL

NoahL Member

The StewMac Dan Erlwine e-mail series had an interesting piece maybe a year ago about the best place to put the button on a semihollow, which was actually on the other side of the neck from where it usually is. His point was that it was out of the way AND helped angle that big guitar into your body. I don't recall the exact details, but see if you can find it on the StewMac site. And don't send the guitar back over this. It's worth getting a good luthier to fix it right, so it works for you and looks good. Especially if you bond with the sound of the guitar -- that's a lot harder to achieve than fixing a strap button.