Es 330 value?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alistair6, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Alistair6

Alistair6 Member

So ive got a trade offer on the table and im hoping for some insight on the value.
    its a mid 60s ES 330, finish has been removed and restained, p90s swapped out for some 60s PAFs, tuners replaced in the 60s. neck repair at some point. Has trapeze tail piece. 2 mini toggles added to the body. Pro wiring job.

Im after a 333 or 335 so this will do the trick. It definately has the vintage mojo going on and looks pretty sweet.

So the magical question: WHAT IS IT WORTH??

2. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Wow...with all the refinshing and mods I'd imagine you'd be lucky to get a grand for it.

3. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

I agree; however, you never know what someone is willing to pay for it until it goes for sale. There may be that one person out there wanting a vintagef hollowbody with humbuckers. Just my .02

4. Alistair6

Alistair6 Member

i agree with both. it would be a trade for my PRS standard 22.. im after a 333 or 335 so it might be a go.. we'll see

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

There's one like this for sale at a shop locally. Except no repairs, refin or issues except for replaced P-90s. Excellent condition otherwise. He's asking 2700. Who knows if he'll get it. Hasn't yet. My guess is you'd be lucky to get half that asking price. Any significant neck repair is a big deal by itself. For me, the original pickups are a big part of the charm of owning one of these.

6. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    A 330 with all those issues is not going to be worth much, especially since there are LOTS of clean, mostly original examples around ($3000 - $5000 depending on which side of mid-60s it's on) that are not exactly flying off shelves. Rule-of-thumb is something like this: refins cut the value about in half -- depending on what kind of guitar it is and whether it was a pro job or done in the garage with a can of Krylon, any additional holes and/or routes in the top deducts ~10% - 30% depending on how big, how well or poorly done and how many and deduct the going rate for each missing original part if they're not included. All-in-all, like another posted, ~$1000. I'd say $850 - $1250.

Keep in mind, a 330 with a couple of humbuckers tacked on does not a 335 make. 335s are semi hollow; 330s are fully hollow. The neck joints are different. They are actually as different as night and day outside of their shapes. If you play loud or with a lot of gain or with a compressor or overdriver, expect feedback issues, especially with the trap tail.

PAFs stopped ~1962, so if it has real PAFs, they're worth a lot -- probably way more than the rest of the guitar. Buy it as quick as you can for as cheap as you can, sell the PAFs, get yourself a nice 335 and plant a philodendron in what's left of the 330. If they're mid-60s pat stickers, they're starting to climb in price, too, but not nearly as much as stickered, unmolested PAFs.

7. Alistair6

Alistair6 Member

my mistake on the PAFs. im assuming they are PAT stickered then.. but ill find out on that one.
    I havent had the chance to play a 330 and realize they are a full hollow with a different neck joint.
    I also have a heritage 535 as a trade offer but the guy wants a fair amount for it so we'll see.
    Im going to hit my local store tomorrow and see what i can do trade wise and go from there.
    Thanks for all the info.

8. dB

dB Member

I'd go for the Heritage 535 - they are really nice. A 330 is nothing like a 335...I have a '59 330 and a '97 336 and other than the feel of the neck contour and 24 3/4" scale, there are no similarities. 330's are really special guitars, but aren't the most versatile and definitely prone to feedback. A hacked up 330 isn't worth all that much and certainly won't appreciate at all. I got mine for 1900, which was a killer deal for an all original '59.