1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ES 335: Dot Reissue vs Block Reissue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, Feb 16, 2009.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

what is the difference between these 2 besides the inlays?

is it worth it to spend the extra grand for the block reissue?

2. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I prefer the block, personally.

3. 335guy

335guy Member

According to MF, the price difference isn't a grand. But Gibson does make a few of each and it depends on which version you're looking at. This one: Gibson Custom ES-335 Plain '60s Block Inlay "Slim Neck" Electric Guitar, has Burstbucker pu's instead of classic 57's and is $3100.00 ( at MF ) This one:
    Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot Figured-top Electric Guitar with Gloss Finish has the classic 57's pu's and a figured top and goes from $2,400.00 to $3,200.00, depending on color. This one: Gibson Custom 1959 ES-335 VOS Reissue Electric Guitar, has the orig. body shape, extended pick guard. It's $4,350.00 and a dot neck that is thicker. This one: Gibson Custom ES-335 Satin Finish Electric Guitar has a satin finish, dot, slim 60's neck and classic 57's. It's 2K.
    This one:
    Gibson Custom 1963 ES-335 Historic Block Reissue Electric Guitar is a historic version, Doesn't mention which pu's but I'd guess 57's. It's $4,500.00. This one: Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot "Fat Neck" Reissue Electric Guitar is a regular dot neck with the fatter neck profile and classic 57's at $2,700.00 This 0ne:Gibson ES-335 Dot Plain-top Electric Guitar with Gloss Finish has the slim neck and 57's and is $2,400.00 And finally, this one: Gibson USA ES-335 Plain Top Electric Guitar w/ '64 Block Neck - Scratch 'n' Dent (Antique Iced Tea*) is a "scratch n' dent" at MF for $2,700.00. And I didn't include any of the signature versions. It appears the differences depend on which one you choose. Fat neck or slim neck, dot inlays or block, figured top or plain, satin or gloss finish, burstbuckers or classic 57's pu's, historic or re-issue. The historics may have a slight body size diffence and the ears should be different, called mickey mouse ears. Sonically and construction wise, all 335's are very similar. They use a single mahogany neck, laminated maple tops, sides and back, solid maple block running through the center of the guitar and are bound top and bottom with neck binding. All the rest, pick-ups, tuners, neck shape, inlays, pick guards, electronics, etc. can be different and effect the sound either not at all or a lot, especially the pu's. I would say, buy the one that speaks to you, regardless of features.

4. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Sorry, but if they all were "very similar sonically" we'd all be alot happier....