1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

ES-335 Enthusiasts - What Amp do you prefer with your ES?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bertramladner, May 4, 2020.

1. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

2. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

My Metropoulos DVL-1. Super-Plex as well. Maximum kerrang.

3. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

No Boogies yet? Okay, '79 Mark IIA then. Rhythm channel, clean to edgy break up.

Coli and ProfRhino like this.
  4. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

pretty much anything, I have an ac-30, spitfire, creiatone ots mini, marshall origin, pro jr. everything works good with my 335.

Luke V likes this.
  5. Luke V

Luke V Supporting Member

I agree, 335's just sound good.

6. deech54

deech54 Member

Sorry for the long story but here goes. When I was in high school in the early 70's I had a friend that was a killer player. One day he drove to Memphis and came back with a red 345 with a Bigsby, I think it was a '60 or '61. He played it through a Super 6, and that was the best sounding rig I've ever heard.
    Over the years I've gravitated toward Tele's but I never got that sound out of my head, and I've always been on the lookout for that good (old) 335.
    Recently I found a pretty good deal on a McKay '59 replica and I enjoyed it but the mystery pickups in it needed an upgrade, so I put some Gil Yaron's in it.
    Got it back yesterday.
    Played it through my Tweed Deluxe clone last night, sounded good.
    This morning I plugged into my old drip-edge Bassman (which is my best sounding amp) and BAM, there it was! The sound I've been looking for for 45 years.
    So I'm thinking Bassman (or Super Six).

JK1965, DV52, nic'o'caster and 2 others like this.
  7. scotty31

scotty31 Member

Most amps, but i really like how it sounds with a mark III red stripe.

bertramladner and ROKY like this.
  8. aeolian

aeolian Member

Interesting. Most of whatever reputation I used to have around these parts was the result of my '86 dot reissue into a Fuchs MM conversion, and later a 100W factory amp.

Guitar Dave T likes this.
  9. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

This always sounded great:

[​IMG]

As did this:

[​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

Danny W.

ProfRhino likes this.
  10. bassmannlespaul84

bassmannlespaul84 Member

Forget a es 335 in my opinion EVERYTHING sounds good through a 4x10 combo..... for me specifically a tweed bassman if you like more midrange push n honk. Or super reverb if you like the mids to come from the guitar n not the amp with alil more sparkle. You can't lose with either one. 4x10 is the way to go pushes alot of air fills up a room n it's plenty loud

11. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I played my 345 today with my Metropoulos Super-Plex and DVL-1, None better IMO.

Also, no guitar I own sounds better on a Vox AC30.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

This, yeah, my experience, 335 sound great on just about any amp, bit I dig them most on tweed amps.

Coli likes this.
  13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    From my own experience, I'd attribute that to the inherent variance from one 335 to another. A guitar with that much resonating real estate, dependent on the characteristics of multiple plys of maple and poplar, glue absorption, finish & finish absorption is going to be difficult to build with consistent acoustic properties.

8nthatK and amphog like this.
  14. amphog

amphog Member

The first step is finding a great 335, most of the ones I have played have been uninspiring, and the good ones are usually 7K+.

8nthatK, deech54 and Guitar Dave T like this.
  15. es137p

es137p Member

it sounds killer straight into my little Fender custom 57 Champ, especially bridge pickup. Also sounds great through my Victoria Chicagolux straight in, and Swart Atomic Space Tone Pro.

16. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

Mine has antiquities in it, and I will echo many brothers here-sounds good through all of my stuff! I guess I play it through my Glaswerks the most, and the controlled feedback is soooo delicious! I love moving air through those F holes!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    ProfRhino likes this.