ES-335 with wraparound bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dr Doom, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

2. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

4. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

what's the advantage there?

5. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

Some people swear that they can feel a difference in bends. Others swear they can hear a difference. I have an R6 . . ABR1 and stop TP and an R4 wrap around. I play the each frequently. Can't feel a darn bit of difference when I bend, but, the wrap around R4 is definitely warmer in the mid range tones. Although, not sure I can attribute that the the different bridges.

I'm a traditionalist. An ES335 is not supposed to have a wrap around bridge. It ain't "traditional". That's just something that's unique to my own personal perception. That's why I would go with a traditional ABR1 and stop TP.

6. gmann

gmann Member

Buzzy Feiten played one of these at Woodstock with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. He did the mod himself. About 10 yrs ago I tried to get Gibson to make me one of these thru the Custom Shop. I think they laughed amongst themselves for weeks before telling me no. Now, here it is!

7. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Just wondering how the tone of a 1-piece lightweight aluminum bridge lends itself to a 335. Too airy? Wondering if a zinc or steel abr1 would create a better balance. Or, maybe the aluminum will add to and compliment the natural airiness of a 335 even more?

8. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

This :agree