• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

ES-339, What's The Verdict?

Redbell

Been looking and gassing over semi-hollow guitars for the last 3 or 4 months.
I think an ES-339 might be the way I am most tempted to go.

Does anybody have one and if so, what are your thoughts, observations etc. on this model.

Also, if anybody has one for sale stupid cheap, drop me a PM, Thanks!

analogwarmth

buy what you want. if you want an L-4 do it. ES-295 do it.
I myself own a 355 and wouldn't have been happy with even a 335, 336, or 356.
eyeballed the 345 but knew i would have to have a 355 still.
wanted a white one hence the alex lifeson. (plus i like rush)

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
May be the weirdest guitar Gibson has ever issued at the weirdest price point.

Surprisingly affordable, great feel and tone, crappy ( really crappy ) tuners, needed the fret job of a lifetime, some QC issues as per Gibson's '' habitude ''

overall, great axe

tybone

I think the ES-339 is a fine guitar. Enough semi hollow tone for blues and the like. Small enough body to keep it from feeding back a high volumes. Pleked frets so they have crowns and the neck plays smooth and even (at least mine does). Got mine a couple of years ago.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I like mine a lot - very different from the CS336 (slim taper neck) that I have as well. I had the choice between two in the store that day - the vintage burst (59 neck) I took home was a much better built guitar from the other choice, a cherry red one. I have no issues with the finish, or fretwork - no problems there at all - this one is new enough to have been factory Plekked. I did put an Earvana compensated nut on it - it plays in tune all over the neck now, even in the open position (a tough one for Gibbys). It's much heavier than the CS336, but not too heavy - the 336 is just built way different. The 57 classics that came with sound good - not as airy as the Motor City Black Belts I put in the 336, but a nice cut-through-the-mix set of humbuckers. I like this 339 a lot - play it frequently, and I think the price is good for a new Gibson.

jeffwith1f

I recently picked one up and have spent the last 2 weeks comparing it to my LP Standard and 335.

It is the lightest of the set (perhaps unspurprisingly)
It has the loudest acoustic tone of the set as well, and also translates this over to it's plugged in tone. it definately sounds and feels like you are playing a semi hollow, more so, interestingly than the 335 itself.

i'll be writing up a full reveiw shortly

richpeax

Just picked a new one up at GC, nice guitar and I still have to officially bond with it. I'd go with a used ES-335 before this model. The ES-335 is like the Les Paul of semi-hollowbodies and can sing. The 339 lacks a little bite to it even with the stock 57's. But that is not a bad thing, it gives it it's own character. Bending strings on it seems to take a little more effort than a 335 or a paul for some reason. USED 335 and you can't go wrong if your looking for a semi.

GBStratman

I have mixed feelings toward mine. I've had it for over a year - plenty of time to learn its quirks. I am primarily a strat-guy, but wanted a humbucker for jazzier stuff as well as high-gain, but without laying out a lot of cash for an LP. I got mine with a 20% discount from MF, so it was a decent deal, although it is still the most expensive guitar I own.

Pros: looks great, neck is comfy, and sounds good through all amps I've played (although it sounds like a toy unplugged). Sounds more like an LP than a 335.

Cons: all QC-related. It came setup decently enough, but the more I played it, the more little things started bothering me. The neck angle seems rather steep, which means the bridge must be raised rather high. This results in the posts only going about halfway up in the holes on the bridge, which in turn results in the bridge wiggling around on the posts. With normal stringing, the steep break angle causes the bridge to lean forward, making it impossible to properly intonate. I currently have it top-wrapped, which flattens the break angle and lets the bridge site in its proper location. I can intonate better, but the bridge wiggles on the posts. I'm contemplating replacing with a tonepros. On the nut end, I had tuning issues with the G and B-strings (slot too narrow), and had to have my tech widen them a little. That helped, but still needed some lube (chapstick works well for this).

analogwarmth

maybe try the vegas model out. it will be a collectors item just because they were not that popular, and it seems to be close to a 339. plus you can get a used one dirt cheap.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
A buddy just got one, it's wonderful, has a hard time so far keeping it in tune, but he's comparing it to his other guitars, which are Andersons, and they stay in tune like CRAZY!

Sounds great, looks great, plays great, even smells nice.

analogwarmth

A buddy just got one, it's wonderful, has a hard time so far keeping it in tune, but he's comparing it to his other guitars, which are Andersons, and they stay in tune like CRAZY!

Sounds great, looks great, plays great, even smells nice.
339 or a vegas?

svenhoek

If you were going to buy a new one, I'd 2nd the opinion that you're better off directing your funds to a used 335, or 336. You can find them for quite a deal every now and then...

Bluesbuff

I love my 339, I've had it about 10 mo. There were a few QC issues, ie scratches on the fret board, nut needed to be recut to resolve the tuning issues, burrs on the saddles. Bought it as a blem for 1325 and it's become my #1 guitar, very versatile. Not as woody as my 335, not quite as much crunch as my LPs but does everything well. I think the 57 classics are a perfect match for this guitar, not as bright as most PAF humbuckers but not muddy in the midrange either. It's easy to play and crys or screams at your whim and drives pedals wonderfully. I'm playing mostly Fender amps ( SFPrinceton, SFDR, BF Bassman, Omega modded HRDlx and a Shiva and it sounds great through them all. Can you tell I really like this guitar?

majorbanjo

I really like my 339....I got a vintage cherry with the 59 neck... and it plays and sounds incredible for the price......I've got two custom shop Les Pauls I like better, but I've got three custom shop Les Pauls I like less......I have zero QC problems with mine......and the 59' neck feels just like my R7.....my R9 neck is smaller....I'd highly recommend this guitar to anyone.......I sold my 336 (a goldtop KS)thinking it was what a wanted at the time but the 339 in my opinion just beat the stuffing out of it......regardless of price.....

floydfanatic

With very minor and cheap adjustments/improvements this guitar kills! If I had extra cash I'd be picking this thing up.

CS'56

I really enjoyed the one I played but the upper fret access was very difficult for me. It's keeps me from considering the purchase. :(

G-delay

I had a beautiful tobacco sunburst 339 but returned it for a cherry red ES-335 satin finish. I just like the feel of the 335 better. Whether sitting or standing the 335 feels natural while the 339 just never felt right to me. Lot's of people love them but I really love my 335. I have noticed that the 335's have gone up in price while the 339 has not since I got mine last summer. But they're both beautiful guitars and sound great.

Trending Topics