ES335 copy - my new freebie.

Barquentine

https://reverb.com/item/2676778-hondo-revival-es-935-1982-hard-case-included

I picked up one of these for free from a friend. It's in great condition and, after a bit of adjustment, plays like a dream. There is no sound from the bridge pup at the moment but the neck pup sounds terrific. Not a lot of info available on the net other than that it was Hondo's attempt at getting into the higher end copy market, it was made in Korea possibly by Tokai. It's quite heavy. The fit and finish is faultless. It feels like an expensive guitar.

I'm going to get my guy to have a look at the electronics. If the bridge pup is dead I've got a couple of bridge buckers that I could replace it with - a Gibson 498T or a PRS SE 245. I would lean towards the 245 for it's lower output which I think would suit this guitar better.

Anyone know anything about these guitars ? I'm very tempted to get a set of Bare Knuckles for it - probably Mules. Would you spend £250 ($310) on a set of pups for it ?

Last edited:

skunizzi

I would check the switch before swapping out the pickups. Probably just some corrosion making bacd contact.

Mule

If I had that guitar,,, I would just put a PUP that you already own in it. Otherwise I'd check the used market for some Duncan 59s or something like that. I'd even consider some Stew Macs... But thats me and I'm a cheap SOB....

Guitarworks

Yeah check continuity on everything first. The bridge pickup may be working. Aside from that, nice score for free.

blowery

My Yamaha SA1100, which is almost 20 years old, has a wonky pickup selector switch and sometimes it doesn't work for the bridge pickup. It's a problem with the switch, my guess is dirty. You could try some electrical contact cleaner if you can do it safely, not sure if it harms finishes or not.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom