ES345 straight into the amp...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Mars Hall, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Member

In the past year, I've been making better use of my stereo equipped Gibson ES345. The "stereo" feature splits each pu into it's own dedicated channel. I play it through 2 channel Fender amps, usually a Brown Concert, BFSR or a SFSR. Neck pu into channel 1 and the bridge into channel 2 (reverb/tremelo). Here's the rub...

I either have to choose which pu gets the effects line or have two seperate effects line for each pu. I've tried it both ways. Recently I have ditched the effects altogether. It's working out better than I had anticipated. I thought I would miss my Wah and having an OD to boost solos. The only device I'm using now is an attenuator to keep the volume in check.

For those of you who do NOT modify your guitars to mono, how have you been dealing with this dilemma?

2. Crikey

Crikey Member

Thought I read somewhere that the blackface/silverface Fenders had the channels out of phase. Do you flip the phase of one of your cables? If not, it might be worth trying.

Barber Launchpad clean boost has two outputs, one in phase and one reversed, I think for doing exactly this.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm

With a stereo guitar I guess you'd just use it with one pickup, set it for unity, and only use the "-" output.

Or just grab a soldering iron and hack a cable so one end has the jacket soldered to the tip instead of the sleeve.

3. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Member

The ES345 has the pu's OOP from the factory, so most 2 channel Fender amps "correct" the phase. It's one of the reasons I use these amps over others, for this guitar.

For the above pedal to work in my application it would need 2 inputs as well.

I did have the jack of the guitar wired mono, at one time. The way the varitone circuit is designed, with a choke, when you mix the 2 signals, it loads down the circuit, causing volume/tone loss.

Thanks for your input.

4. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of straight guitar, no effects. I would take it as a sign.

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I have a 345, and I vary the setup: Stereo to mono cord with my pedal setup, Y to two channels on a Fender, or Y to two amps. It depends on my mood.