ESP EC 1000, 500, 256, etc... Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Richierich1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Richierich1

Richierich1 Member

If I wanted to drop an EMG 81/60 pickup set in one of the LTD EC Series guitars, which wiring kit would I get? They make two. One is for strat type guitars (short shaft pots) and one is for Les Paul style guitars (long shaft pots)? I realize its a Les Paul style guitar but is somewhat thinner than a Les Paul. I could solder all this up but I want to try this harness and I don't want to order the wrong one.

Thanks!

2. Richierich1

Richierich1 Member

I should mention I already have the pickups.

3. Dale

Dale Member

Pull the back cover and see how long the pots in it are now.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Richierich1

Richierich1 Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not at home right now unfortunately or I'd be able to check. I think I'm just going to order the Long Shaft kit and if I have to, I'll use washers to shorten them. That should work ok.

5. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

My ec1000 and my ESP eclipse both had the shorter pot posts. Not the really long ones. But it's always good to double check. emg has really good info on all they're products. I've even emailed them with very weird, minor questions and have always gotten a quick response. ESP on the other hand is a different story. I sometimes doubt they even have a customer service. I have never received a reply email from ESP even after many important questions I sent.

6. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

ESPs are going to use the smaller pots

7. Pushead

Pushead Member

Yes.

8. Richierich1

Richierich1 Member

Now that I think of it, the guitar is a flat top guitar, and the shafts didn't seem excessively long compared to the pics of the long shaft pots online. I think the short shafts will be fine. Thanks for the replies.

9. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

only real/older Les Pauls will use the long shaft because of the thickness of the maple cap and the route of the control cavity

MOST guitars will use the smaller pots.
    ....even maple cap les paul style guitars
    Example: my Schecter Tempest Custom w/ maple cap = small pots

10. Richierich1

Richierich1 Member

I measured one of the threaded shafts last night. It was a little over 3/8 but not by much. My understanding is 3/8=short shaft so I ordered the short ones. Thanks for all the input!