esp eclipse neck bow issues...and then some

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TimSt.L, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Hello everyone, Im new here but find everyone to be very informative and willing to help. I hope I can finally get to the bottom of this issue.

About a year ago I purchased an ESP eclipse 2 with extremely high hopes. I was extremely let down. It sounds muddy and dead. when i restring it, it will sound like one of my mid level Ltd's with two month old strings.

That's Not the issue at hand, what I am having a serious problem with is fret buzz.
    I tune down to BEADGB from low to high. I have had small issues in the past with fret buzz while tuning this low but nothing I couldn't take care of with a little tweak of the bridge and truss rod.
    I recently tried the Zakk Wylde 60's( sort of a light top heavy bottom) thinking the thicker low strings would not be as flabby as my 56 or 58 gauges. Well it seems worse. My strings are about twice as far from the neck as they're supposed to be and the buzz is still unbearable. It has a slight underbow.
    Should I try to make the neck as straight as possible and go from there?
    Should I bite the bullet and have a shop take a look at it? (Something I have never had to do before.)
    Any help is appreciated, if anyone has heard of any issues like this, please share.

2. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

Setting up a guitar for drop tuning can be a pain in the butt. It's hard for me to say what the best course of action is with the info you've provided.

What I can provide is to recommend dunlop heavy core strings. They have greater tension at more reasonable gauges. Great for drop tuning.

3. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

Did you cut the nut slots wider for the large strings?

4. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

No, and I'd like to know why I didn't think of that myself. Thanks, Im going to look at it now. I haven't done anything to this nut. does anyone have an easy rule of thumb for how high off the first fret the strings should be?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

cutting nut slots just right is one of the more critical parts of a good setup, and very easy to get wrong; if you want it to feel like the $1000+ guitar that it is and not like a lotus strat copy, get the slots done professionally as part of a proper setup.

also, it shouldn't sound "muddy and dead" with those EMGs either; get that checked at the same time.

6. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

having to re-work the nut-slots is why I recommended the Dunlop heavy core strings.

I'm used to playing a 10-46 set on my standard tuned 25.5" scale guitar and I put a set of the DHC 11-50 on my 24.75" guitar and the tension is still just a bit stiffer when at a whole step down (D-G-C-F-A-D). Also does drop C like a champ. If I were you I'd give their 12-54 set a try and that way you may not have to alter the nut much. Once you file the nut slots, you gotta get a new nut to go back (which isn't the end of the world, I guess, but it's more of a pain in the ass than trying a $5 set of strings)

7. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I almost bought a set just the other day but went with the zakk wylde 60's. Anything under 56 seems too flabby to me. I used to use ernies( 7string regular Slinky) I would take out the center 24 gauge in the middle to make a custom light top heavy bottom. But even those were a bit loose. The 60's work great, But Im just having the buzz issue. Im using the same exact set on my viper 400 and it has no issues whatsoever.
    Does heavy core come in 60's?