• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

ESP Eclipse vs Les Paul

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I agree with most of the posts: The Eclipse isn't much of a Les Paul. BUT, it IS a killer heavy rock/metal guitar. I had 3 of them. An LTD which I believe was a EC-1000 in black cherry with EMGs and then a Standard with Duncans and an EC-400 gold top with Duncans. Very cool guitars. I didn't care for the EMGs, but they'll do the thrash trick quite well.

I really dig the look of the Eclipse-II Vintage Black... just awesome.

mattv

Gold Supporting Member
I have a pre lawsuit 2004 with Suhr Ssv and Ssh+ It sounds huge and plays great. I would buy one over a LP if your shooting for a price range of 899-1200.

Great value and a great guitar

Matt

lp_junkie

There's no comparison other than relative shape, they are completely different animals. I am not fond of the ESP's they are built well and all but just aren't my thing, the necks don't feel right to me at all.

I stick to the Les Paul for everything, nothing out there that a pickup swap can't take care of.

T.L.

I love my ESP Eclipse. The neck feels awesome, and better than any Gibson I have ever had my hands on. It's not too thick or too thin, and has extra-jumbo frets. It sounds great, and the Seymour Duncan pickups Rock. It weighs 8 pounds.

I love Gibson Les Pauls -- they're just plain beautiful, but for the money, this ESP blows the Gibson away...

kherman

Don't know if this is available in the US, but I have seen that the Eclipse is offered in a thicker bodied version, called the "FT" for Full Thickness. Also, the Eclipse-I (not available in the US) is closer to the traditional LP shape, and also has the traditional control layout.
FT is not available in the USA/Canada.
But, is available in Europe, Japan, and Australia I believe.

Dumo

I got this coming today in the mail. Full thickness. A special run sold in the US.

Melodyman

Great guitar, excellent build quality as long as you don't expect it to sound exactly like a LP.

My Eclipse doesn't sound like a typical superstrat, but it doesn't sound like a Les Paul either. Kind of has it's own thing going on.

T.L.

Mine totally sounds like a Les Paul. How could it not? It's a mahogany body & neck, rosewood fingerboard (set neck), TOM bridge and stop tailpiece, 24-3/4" scale (and mine is a full-thickness), Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position, and I replaced the neck-position '59 with a SH-2 "Jazz" model. Nickle covers. Mine also has an Earvana compensated nut...

Dumo

Yeah from Drum City Guitar Land. The have some pretty cool different ESP guitars I've never seen before anywhere else.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Mine totally sounds like a Les Paul. How could it not? It's a mahogany body & neck, rosewood fingerboard (set neck), TOM bridge and stop tailpiece, 24-3/4" scale (and mine is a full-thickness), Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position, and I replaced the neck-position '59 with a SH-2 "Jazz" model. Nickle covers. Mine also has an Earvana compensated nut...
Full thickness gets closer, but the regular production ESP is much thinner and does not sound like a Les Paul, just because basic specs are the same doesn't mean its an actual copy. Now the ESP Navigator series, that's another story.

gibby=22 frets
Esp=24
I believe
Viper is 24, the Eclipse is 22.

somedude

Cool.

I'm not really looking for a LP sound so much as I wondered how different the Eclipse sound really was and comparing it to a Les Paul seemed like a logical starting point. But, in the end if I wanted the LP sound I'd get a Les Paul, but this time around I'd like something a bit different.

What I'm looking for is a straight up metal guitar. Something that kind of retains that basic shape that I like yet is a bit brighter than the standard Les Paul, is a little clearer into high gain and has more modern ergonomics that facilitate faster playing.

Based on the descriptions on this thread I think I'm on the right track, but the only way to know for sure will be to play one...

T.L.

Full thickness gets closer, but the regular production ESP is much thinner and does not sound like a Les Paul, just because basic specs are the same doesn't mean its an actual copy. Now the ESP Navigator series, that's another story.

Viper is 24, the Eclipse is 22.
Yeah, you're totally right, but mine is a full-thickness and 22 frets. I'm not saying it's on the same level as a Gibson. I'm just saying that when you look at the cost of each, and consider the feel, playability, sound, and look of this guitar, it's pretty amazing...

Pushead

ESP makes really nice guitars. I have a pretty reasonable collection of Les Pauls and Eclipses, and other ESPs as well.

I think many people will automatically assume the ESP is a hard rock / metal guitar, and I'd say that's a reasonable first impression. Most of the Eclipses come stock with EMG pickups, though there are models with Duncans stock. All of my Eclipses have EMGs, though I've had burstbuckers in one of the for a short period of time. With the passive pickups installed, the Eclipse retains a lot of the tonal character of a Les Paul.

The ESP Eclipse II versions have a maple cap with a flame or quilt veneer (unless you get the ESP Custom Shop version which is not a veneer). I'm not sure if an Eclipse I has a maple cap or not. The LTD EC models do not. They all have big frets. The necks are very similar to the Gibson 59 Rounded, though the shoulders feel a bit smaller. I think they're most like my late 70s LP necks than anything else.

Most ESPs are thinner than a Les Paul, though there are models available outside of North America that are "Full Thickness" (I have one of these).

The Eclipses are nice guitars. I don't think they're a Les Paul replacement, but I don't think they're out of place in a rack with Gibsons as well.

xdisciplex

Esp makes great guitars and i have owned about 20 of them and the quality is great, i have 4 eclipse and 10 les pauls and none of my eclipse sound like a les paul, i would say they are more of a sg type sound. I have a fullthickness and regular thickness models but they still arent a les paul.

Somebody earlier in the thread asked about the difference in the custom shop eclipse and a standard series and since i own a custom shop and many other eclipse models.
The custom shop is step above and is a all around better quality and sounding instrument, the feel is nicer also. The custom shop uses a thicker maple top and not a veneer like the cheaper versions, the neckthru has a nicer feel and the custom also doesnt feel like a toy and some of the others did imo. I seen custom for 3k and even less if bought used.

amc

as a fat neck fan, every esp eclipse guitar that i have tried have skinny necks.
the quality looks excellent on the custom shop eclipse but neck profile is too damn thin.

carvin has only recently started offering a thicker neck carve and i am sure that they
are selling to a whole new different customer base.

imho, the neck carve on the esp eclipse is nothing like the gibson '59 lp's..............

Pushead

imho, the neck carve on the esp eclipse is nothing like the gibson '59 lp's..............
By 59 Rounded I mean the neck carve on Studios and 80s-90s Les Pauls (described as '59 Rounded by Gibson) and not an R9 or 1959 reissue profile. My R0 (not in above picture) has a larger neck than any of the ESPs.

Also in terms of "skinny", the neck on the Eclipses is not as skinny (in my experience anyway) as the 1960 carve on Classic models, or as skinny as the superstrat guitars ESP or Ibanez make.

Trending Topics