ESP G Lynch Skulls & Snakes early version experts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cellarstrat, Feb 1, 2015.

1. cellarstrat

cellarstrat Member

Hi folks,

I recently bought an early version of the Esp G Lynch Skulls & Snakes , the one with abalone dot markers and traditional headstock. My guitar doesn´t have the "Screamin´Demon" bridge pickup, featuring the hex pole pieces and instead has a row of screws and row of polished pole pieces (I have attached a photo of a similiar guitar, not my own, as it´s with a luthier for setup but the pickup seems to be the same). I wonder if it is the original pickup which the shop believes is the original. I think it may be another pickup like the "Duncan Distortion" as in Guitar World 1990 issue the original "Haji" doesn´t have the Screamin Demon with hex poles fitted either...was the early version S" Demon without hex poles ? ... I doubt it, but Lynch mentions that Seymour Duncan and himself were designing a new pickup so I think the "Screamin´Demon" model wasn´t yet made and was fitted to later versions of the ESP Skulls and Snakes Models.
    I also contact ESP but they are unable to give me any info , the guitar has a serial number on the neckplate No.50785 but no headstock serial no. apparently they were like that. Any idea how to date the guitar and also just how many of these early dot markered straty headstock versions where actually made .
    http://rebel-guitars.com/1990-esp-george-lynch-skull-snakes-haji

Many thks
    T

2. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

Cool guitar !! i wonder if the bottom of the pup has any info ?

3. cellarstrat

cellarstrat Member

Of course it will have details , when I get it back from my luthier in a few weeks I will find that out but I still won´t know if it was the original in these early versions ... though if it´s the Duncan Distortion it probably is as the Seymour Duncan forum believes that what was in the early guitars .

thks T.

4. Darth Gain

Darth Gain Member

I got to test drive one of these back in the day. I'm not sure if there were different versions made. It was about 1990 and the guitar had a new price in that range from what I remember. I needed a setup on my Jackson and my regular guy was away, a few blocks away, a new store9part of a chain) just opened and was featuring ESP. The guitar was hanging high up and because I had a Jackson, the sales guy though I might be interested and strong armed me into trying it, hoping for a sale.

It was THE weirdest guitar I have every played. All maple, I believed the fingerboard was maple (might be wrong, it was a LONG time ago), Screamin' Demon pickup and get this partially scalloped fretboard (10th fret and higher). It weighed a ton and the tone was like breaking glass. I think I played through a Marshall combo. Couldn't get past the weight, the scalloped fingerboard was a bit odd.

5. Bankston

Bankston Member

ESP did not do a very good job of tracking serial numbers until the last few years.

I have an early 90's Sunburst Tiger and they could only estimate when it was produced.

6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I don't remember those being scalloped at all. Lynch does dig the maple bodies...virtually every Lynch I've tried over the years has weighed over 11 lbs.

7. Darth Gain

Darth Gain Member

Scalloped fretboard was a trend in the 80s. Because of the partially scalloped board, it was very memorable. Never seen another guitar with a partially scalloped fretboard. At the time, I thought the guitar was overly bright, all maple plus floyd.

8. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

in my opinion ESP (the company) distance themselves from there history to prevent collector fever on there old guitars. the company looks only forward, constantly changing there marketing and models seemingly in a vacuum.
    they have rewritten there early history, if you read old interviews with Kirk, he states he bought his axe in NY but the giddy story of the shop in Tokyo where Ron wood found his telly in the mid 80`s even tho he is on the cover of the ESP catalog in 82 is where Kirk officially found out about ESP. they should just be honest and tell people where and when the old stuff was made and stop lying to there customers. why wouldn't they know how many guitars they made? its childish and arrogant marketing imo