ESP George Lynch M1 Tiger

FiestaRed

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone here ever owned one of these? Not the LTD version, but the actual custom shop model. How did you like it? I can't remember if the earlier 90s models have the same specs as the newer ones. The most recent ones have the 1 3/4 nut wide and the flat U neck and a maple body just like the Kamikaze models. I thought I remembered the older models having different specs.

DonP

+1

Are you talking the Yellow / Black / White model, or the one with reds and purples?

Maple fretboard or rosewood?

I don't like ESP's headstock on the Maple M1s. I'd likely swap it out for a ProMod strathead.

s2y

What are the prices these days? I "generally" lean towards copying the specs and going with GMW since I can usually save $1k or more.

ntotoro

I had one almost 20 years ago... also had all four Kami's, a Sunburst Tiger and "Haji" (Skull & Snakes).

The M1 Tiger was by far my favorite of all of them. Single humbucker (all had the Screamin' Demon) and so simple. The specs said maple body, but no way did I believe that. Much lighter guitar. If I had to bet, I'd say alder. Much smoother guitar than the others, likely the alder body. More full range, also... again, likely because of the body. The Skull & Snakes was similar, but slightly different body shape, IIRC. I believe that was alder, also.

Nick

I had one almost 20 years ago... also had all four Kami's, a Sunburst Tiger and "Haji" (Skull & Snakes).

Nick
Which of the four Kami's was your favorite?
I've always loved the look of III (desert camo), but wished it had the maple neck.
I recently tried the new LTD reissue of IV, and liked it, but I hate that paint job and headstock, so no way I was dropping the $$$ for it.

Mikhael

The M1 Tiger was by far my favorite of all of them. Single humbucker (all had the Screamin' Demon) and so simple. The specs said maple body, but no way did I believe that. Much lighter guitar. If I had to bet, I'd say alder. Much smoother guitar than the others, likely the alder body. More full range, also... again, likely because of the body. The Skull & Snakes was similar, but slightly different body shape, IIRC. I believe that was alder, also.

Nick
It might've been western maple. I have a Godin with an western maple body (big leaf? Soft maple, anyway) and it's much lighter weight, although the same colour.

1-3/4" nut? I'm interested; please go on.

ntotoro

Which of the four Kami's was your favorite?
I've always loved the look of III (desert camo), but wished it had the maple neck.
I recently tried the new LTD reissue of IV, and liked it, but I hate that paint job and headstock, so no way I was dropping the $$$ for it.
That's tough to say. I think I played the desert camo one most because it was different, but the "regular" camo one was more sentimental to me. The neon camo one with the serrated headstock had more "honk" to it, maybe because of the maple board. Had a different attack, but definitely in the same family. Slightly more shallow neck carve, too.

Nick

ntotoro

It might've been western maple. I have a Godin with an western maple body (big leaf? Soft maple, anyway) and it's much lighter weight, although the same colour.

1-3/4" nut? I'm interested; please go on.
It might have been. All I can say is it was substantially lighter than the other maple Lynch's, by feel. If you can feel the difference, then there is one LOL!

I don't think the nut width was as wide on the M1 as the Kamis. To be totally honest, this was back in a time when I was more "ignorant" on things like that and would have gotten used to the differences pretty quickly.

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Nick

mdrake34

I got to play a real sunburst tiger when I was a teenager, belonged to one of the guys at my local music store. Had the solid maple body, it was heavy as hell, but plugged into a single recto half stack it was so much damn fun to play.

FiestaRed

Silver Supporting Member

Nick
I had a red/white/blue Kamikaze. Like a dumbass I sold it. The neck was awesome and I'm wondering if the neck on the older M1 Tiger was the same. I don't think they were, and I don't think the bodies were originally maple either. I think they might have been alder. The Skulls & Snakes was alder and the neck was different too. ESP changed things so that all the necks on the ESP Lynch models are now the same, but I think they quit making the M1.

The Kamikaze was heavy -- 10 pounds or so. But it sounded awesome -- it had the Duncan Distortion in it because it was made before the Demon came out.

I want an M1 Tiger with the newer specs. I have a line on an older one but I don't think it has what I want. I asked the seller to measure the nut and he said it was between 1 5/8 and 1 11/16. That's definitely not the 1 3/4 width.

Last edited:

ntotoro

I had a red/white/blue Kamikaze. Like a dumbass I sold it. The neck was awesome and I'm wondering if the neck on the older ones was the same. I don't think they were, and I don't think the bodies were originally maple either. I think they might have been alder. The Skulls & Snakes was alder and the neck was different too. All the necks on the ESP Lynch models are now the same, but I think they quit making the M1.

The Kamikaze was heavy -- 10 pounds or so. But it sounded awesome -- it had the Duncan Distortion in it because it was made before the Demon came out.

I want an M1 Tiger with the newer specs. I have a line on an older one but I don't think it has what I want. I asked the seller to measure the nut and he said it was between 1 5/8 and 1 11/16. That's definitely not the 1 3/4 width.
I haven’t played a new Kami, so not sure about the neck shapes and sizes. I do remember the neon “Just Walk Away” one, which was the last one I got, had a noticeably more shallow neck, especially near the nut. The M1 was the only one that had a maple board and didn’t have a hockey stick headstock.

Shame they quit making the M1. That was my favorite of all of them and it looks like he still plays those. I think it’s still the same actual guitar from the “Breaking The Chains” video, just with a different neck.

The Kami’s weighed a TON!!!! That’s right! Would have definitely loved to see if there were any differences in your older one versus the ones I had with the Demon. I do remember the neck ESP single-coil matched up well with the Demon. The Skull & Snakes has an ESP rail pickup in the front. Also like a dumbass, I sold them all about 15 years ago.

Nick

I believe his M1 is the old body he has been using in various forms for decades. That one probably is stupidly heavy maple like the Kamis. Looks like it has had a new neck or three over the last 30 years.

Nick
Yes for along time, he was using maple fretboards on it, but then switched to a darker wood, not sure if rosewood or something else.
I'm not sure what's currently on that guitar.

dinga

I have an ESP Kamikaze (version 1 black camo). It is a heavy beast. I also have an ESP Skulls and Snakes. The necks are very similar. Very wide but not uncomfortable. Thin profile.

Last edited: