ESP guitar content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rustneversleeps, Jan 18, 2008.

1. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

I was looking at the ESP line and they seem to have overall good reviews. I always thought there was a general understanding that they were strictly a "metal" or "shredder" guitars. Some of them look pretty versatile. Any ESP owners care to dispel or support this thought?

http://www.espguitars.com/

2. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

BleedingEdge,
    Thanks, man. I'm trying to narrow down what I'll buy next. I see that some of the LTD series comes with EMG passives, so I guess it's just a matter of trying one out.

3. Brick

Brick Member

I have an ESP PC 2 (now discontinued) which I dig a lot. Currently have it tuned to Open G for slide.

[​IMG]

Also put in white HighOrder pickups in it.

I couldn't shred to save my life. :D

4. jordanL

jordanL Member

I have a Strat style Esp thats served me well for many years. Typical 60's styling, Not sure if the pups I got it with were original, I've had Rio's and Fender Crays in there.

5. jhp612

jhp612 Member

I once placed an ESP tele. It was friggen amazing... wouldnt mind picking up one of those

6. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

How are the necks on the ones you own or have tried?

7. Redrum

Redrum Member

I've had a Paramount Custom for years now and it is one incredible guitar. Overall build quality and playability is amazing and the tone is right there. Hard to beat the maple cap over mahogany body recipe. The SD Jazz neck pup and JB in the bridge is a pretty sweet combination as well. Honestly, the only thing I don't like about it is the bling-style gold hardware, but if that's it biggest issue......... always assumed (most) ESP's were for the EMG shredding metal set, but they have some really nice, more traditional desings as well.

(Always liked that Tele style Hybrid 400 with the splittable bucker in the bridge..... but I digress).

Wish I had a picture of it to share - it's a real looker.

:AOK

8. gregc510

gregc510 Member

I recently got an EC400AT - it's a Les Paul style guitar with JB and '59 Duncan pickups. It's an amazing guitar. Rock solid, really heavy guitar. Sounds great for my style of music (classic rock, blues).

The neck is pretty skinny (I don't mean it's narrow at the nut), which works really well for me.

And inexpensive! They're made in Korea - you can pick up one on ebay for $300-$400 with a case.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Same here. I own a circa 1990/91 ESP Vintage that is modeled after a '57 Stratocaster with a great v-neck. Originally a vintage white, the finish has aged to a very cool shade of yellow in the intervening seventeen years.

10. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I have a lot of ESP products...first my 1980s Kramers:
    Pacer Deluxe, Pacer Custom II, Pacer Custom II
    Pacer Custom I, F-1000
    1984 Pacer Series Patent Pending
    [​IMG]
    which are very 'metal' looking to most but very versatile. The stock Seymour Duncan APS-1 single coils give plenty of alternative sounds to the stock Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. These guitars can pretty much do anything.
    Then I have my ESP/LTD guitars:
    EC 400 STBC
    EC 400AT
    H-1000
    Viper 1000
    [​IMG]
    Also very versatile (maybe aside from the one at the top which has EMG 81s) with stock Seymour Duncan pickups and good quality wood with very high QC from the Korean operation.

Short story is that ESP is one of the best high volume builders out there. They built many guitars in their time and learned a lot from the process including: use high quality parts, wood, and build consistently. Works for me.

11. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

+ 1 ... I'm on my 4th ESP Edwards. Great guitars, high quality, without the extreme price tag. A+

12. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Smorg, now I'm getting jealous. Just kidding. I'm happy with my current main squeeze, but I am jonesing for an ESP LTD LP-style guitar.

ESP is a brand I consistently recommend to people wanting a great guitar that they don't have to upgrade or spend a fortune getting set up. It's not a great guitar "for the money," it's a great guitar. (I also recommend Schecter and Dean for the same reasons.)

BTW: Smorg, I've *got* to hear the story behind that username of yours.

13. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

I have a Eclipse II. Superior to them all I say. Mahoganey, Ebony, choice hardware, fit and finish is beyond comprehension. HAND MADE. Out the door new for $1300. Try that Gibson/Fender/Hamer/PRS.

Custom shop will build you anything you can DREAM of.
    [​IMG]

14. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

Keep watching eBay for an EC 400AT as they have been discontinued for a couple years I believe. What a beauty!! '59 in the neck and JB in the bridge. I was blessed to fall into that deal when I got mine. It was in my first hand full of eBay purchases.

I got a Viper 400 for a friend of mine. He loved the guitar but hated the Custom 5 pickup-he is a much more metal guy than the Custom 5 can accommodate. Anyway, it pretty much stayed in its case for 5 months while we hunted down the right pickup at the right time/price. We got a Seymour Duncan Distortion and the thing just screams now. However, I think he had become so accustomed to it being in its case that he lost interest maybe? The other day he asked me if I wanted to buy it for what he has into it which is a great deal. He bought some Ibanez 7 string that he wanted instead. It will suit his music for sure but I think he'll eventually regret it. The Viper sounds better than all of his guitars in my opinion. Anyway...here it is...
    [​IMG]
    Me too. I'm always recommending ESP/LTD.
    Ok...I get that a lot:rotflmao
    Smorg for smorgasbord and donkey for beast of burden. A guy I used to work with tagged me with that after hearing of my exploits at the buffet table. Normally I don't eat meat, eggs or dairy products but I have eaten absolutely insane amounts of food on occasion. IE:
    -115 chicken wings and 2 beer.
    -3, yes 3, 16 oz T-bone steaks, a large bag of chips, potato salad and pasta salad with each steak and 4 beer.
    It is quite ridiculous...but since I am such a workout kind of person my metabolism is revving pretty high...still people are freaked-out when I do stuff like that because I am 6 feet tall and have a 32 inch waist. People expect a gut with that kind of eating. I guess they don't see that I don't live like that on a regular basis!!

15. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

I think they are probable one of the best Asian made production line guitars around. Very solid. I know a signature player and he called me after a gig once and was amazed that his was still in tune after a fan ran off with it and got tackled by the goons.