1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

ESP Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cignal_20, May 19, 2011.

1. Cignal_20

Cignal_20 Member

I recently order an ESP M-I, because I couldn't find any dealers that kept them in stock. This is the first time I've order sight-unheard (I guess).

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone here uses any of their guitars. If so, what are the pros/cons, likes/dislikes, ect.

2. paulscape

paulscape Member

Fabulous necks with the silky finish option. Very fast and effortless to play. Great construction and finish. Mainly metal guitars, some lack mojo.

3. Cignal_20

Cignal_20 Member

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping it will be here by Monday.

A friend suggested it when I told him I was looking for something faster and lighter than my LP. Other criteria included fewer controls and a tune-o-matic bridge to maintain similar feel to what I'm playing now.

4. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I don't own one, but I absolutely love '90s ESP Horizons. Such a wicked awesome design from a playability and sound standpoint.

I dig the M series too, of course.

5. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

I've got a full thickness Silverburst Eclipse that I love. Damn good guitar.

6. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

I have 3 ESP guitars and here's my take...

The guitars are of very high quality, and I couldn't be happier with mine. All of mine are the 'vintage' type of guitars, as opposed to the metalhead / shred-head models (like the Laiho) - but have similar playability.

The 'Thin U' contour absolutely kicks butt for me, as it's got modern playability on a vintage style axe. Also, there's great upper fret access thanks to contoured / angled heel joints and the woods they use are very resonant. Pricewise, they're very affordable for their quality.

- ESP Eclipse II (Aged Honey Burst, satin finish, modded)

This was a dream guitar for me. I love Les Pauls, but just had a bit of a hard time with the big necks, no cutaways or heel contours and of course the weight. The Eclipse II addresses all of those concerns while retaining the authentic tone of a Les Paul... I threw a pickguard and a PU Selector Washer on mine - and I just love the look, feel and tone of it. I currently have a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the neck, and a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge. The DiMarzio is great, but the Duncan is good, but isn't quite doing it for me. I'm going to throw in some Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells into it when I bring it back to the UK...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyvYoBAeo1Y (scroll towards the end for the ESP)

- ESP Vintage Plus (Black, distressed modded)

OK... I've had 3 people now who've said that this is the best Strat type guitar they've played and heard! This guitar rocks and rocks HARD... I've thrown in a DiMarzio Area 58 in the neck and a DiMarzio Area 67 in the middle for some serous twang and quack in the split positions. The bridge is equipped with a Duncan Li'l Screamin' Demon which works REALLY well on this axe... I've yet to find a Strat that I'd choose over this and I've played TONS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJGCCAb7iSU

- XTone Paramount PC-1V

As much as I love it to pieces... the guitar, at the end of the day is little more than the residual side-effects of pure, unadulterrated GAS! It's probably the best looking guitar I've ever owned and probably the ONLY guitar that allows you to totally rip on it, while still looking like something Merle Travis, Chet Atkins or Brian Setzer would play. The neck is still a Thin U contour, but feels considerably 'fatter' than the others due to the heavy gloss finish on the neck. It comes with a compensated nut, it sounds awesome and plays great... the Bigsby's a pain in the butt to re-string... but you gotta pay to play!

In conclusion - I'm coming from the Vintage / Traditional side of ESP, but they're really cool guitars... I recommend them HIGHLY to anyone who wants the classic look, feel, great quality with modern playability at a very reasonable price... They're very easy to mod as well...

Hope this helps...

7. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I have the Laiho. The neck is very comfortable: thin but not too wide. Very playable. I did end up blocking the FR because I rarely used it. I find this one very balanced. I've played the Eclipse II and they were fantastic. Very high quality. Didn't try any of the super strats.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It looks like a good guitar. You could always change the pickup to a JB or PAF for a different sound if you wanted to later. Neck through! It looks like you're going to be having a lot of fun! [​IMG]

9. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

They are guitars of the best quality. There's one of those brands you could pick up sight unseen just as you have and reasonably expect good results.

The only negative thing I can say about them is based on preference. I'm not a fan of their metal guitars, nor any others that follow the same philosophy on how they are constructed. The neck-through, entire guitar encased in candy-coated plastic shell thing doesn't do it for me.

Don't take that as preference against poly finished. Far from it, I actually like poly. But I like the neck to have a satin finish and the guitar to have a little more indication that it's made of wood and not styrofoam encased in fiberglass. That usually means bolt-on necks, and ESP makes those too.

10. tsinthegame

tsinthegame Member

I'm a big ESP fan and I currently own a 2006 Viper standard and a mid 90's Mirage. I've also owned a George Lynch Kamikaze III. I've also owned and played many of their LTD signature series guitars.

As a general comment ESP standard series guitars are very well built and feel solid. The M-I's neck is similar to that of my Mirage: Thin U, very comfortable and very fast. You should be very happy with it.

If ever you don't like the EMG 81, you can always swap it out for something that suits you better.

Congrats and Welcome to the ESP club.

11. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

What's the differnece between ESP and LTD? Is one the budget brand?

12. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

I've owned M-II, KH-2, some older horizons...fastest necks I've ever tried. Especially the newer ones with satin finish.

13. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

If it says ESP on the headstock, it was made and Japan and is the standard model or from their custom shop. LTD is their budget brand of instruments. There are several different trim and quality grades within the LTD brand, I believe the highest grade ones are made in South Korea.

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have an ESP Tel '52 style I purchased in the 1980s. It's incredible!!

15. cap217

cap217 Member

LTD's, the hi end ones are amazing "cheap or budget" guitars. I have owned a few esp's and ltd's, even the same ones like the Lahaio and I couldnt tell the difference in what I was playing.

16. tsinthegame

tsinthegame Member

Indeed, the LTD line is the budget line (especially the 50 and 200 series guitars). However, the signature series 600 guitars are IMO just a notch under the standard ESP.

As for saying ESP on the headstock, it could also be a USA made guitar. Up until around 2000, ESP had a U.S. custom shop as well.

17. edcat

edcat Supporting Member

I went to GC, played an ESP Eclipse II honey aged maple aginst Les Pauls costing 2K more and prefered the Eclipse for playability, sound and weight. Bought the Eclipse, it's the best guitar I've ever owned and sounds great with any amp.

18. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ Yeah, a lot of well-known metal bands still use LTDs like it's no big deal. The build quality on them is unquestionably good for the price.

19. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I'm gassing for an LTD EC-401vf that's at the local guitar shop. I've played it 3 times... today I plugged it in for the first time. It just seems to be a ridiculously good guitar for the money.

20. Edzio

Edzio Member

I love my 400 Series Tele.